Need Help heating a 600 sq ft basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deadeye316

Dec 8, 2007
Amsterdam, ny
I have been looking for a couple weeks now on heating my finished basement. I currently have a electric box heater that is 5k btu and takes forever in the winter for the temperature to climb. Pretty much nobody will go down there because its too cold. I have a pellet stove on the first floor that pretty much heats the whole house but does take alot of up keep. I was looking at getting a Propane free standing stove down there. After some searching I was looking at about 4k or more after install. A local place offered me a Jotul GF100 and stated that with a blower it would be enough to heat the room. I looked it up and the btu ranges from 11k-14k btu. The stove is used but after install, pipe, stove, blower, and hearth stone they said it would be $2100. Any thoughts????

600 sf, well insulated, will take a minimum of 18K BTU OUTPUT to heat.
At 75% efficiency that translates into a 24K BTU INPUT.
You will need an F300 Allagash, or s similar sized unit to heat with

600 sf, well insulated, will take a minimum of 18K BTU OUTPUT to heat.
At 75% efficiency that translates into a 24K BTU INPUT.
You will need an F300 Allagash, or s similar sized unit to heat with
Thank you. I went and looked at the stove it is very small. I have them coming to take a look for a more detailed estimate. It's in he basement and the floor joists I think will make it hard to install and I'd rather not go through the foundation. He has 3 more used stoves and he is going to get me more information on them. Is there a reason used gas stoves are so much cheaper? Seems to be about a 50% savings

I ended up purchasing a used heritage bay by Lopi. I am going to build my own hearth and they are installing it in a couple weeks. The total after install and tax was about 1900. The stove is. Great shape and they replaced the blower and some other parts. It's about 8 years old. It's 30k btu and will be enough to heat the basement.

Reactions: CenterTree
Status
Not open for further replies.