Need Help I dont want to make an unsafe mistake

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 19, 2008
NY
Since the price of oil is out of control. I am going to use my Stimulus check to by a stove to help heat my house. I am getting alot of different answers to the same questions I have been asking at the local stove stores. First I live in a ranch with the living room in the middle of the house with the bed rooms and bathrooms on one side and the Kitchen dining room and den on the other side. The entire house is 2000 square feet. In my living room now is a Fireplace that was here when I bought the house. I'm assuming its original from when the house was built in the mid 60s. The firebox appears to be metal. The only markings I can see on it is the word Heatilator on the lever that opens and closes the flue. There are also vents on the front of the fireplace on both sides of the firebox opening and vents across the top of the firebox opening. At some point a gas log set was installed. I have used it but it doesn't trow off alot of heat and uses what seams to be a lot of propane. the Flue is clamped open I assume because of the gas conversion. Now too the questions. My main goal is to save as much money as I can. Now since I have the fireplace I was looking at fireplace inserts vs a wood stove. I would imagine a wood stove is going to put out more heat then an insert but an insert will take up less room. Now can I use an insert in my metal Heatilator firebox safely? It seems like a small box only about 33 wide by 25 high it really narrows as it goes back. will that size firebox accommodate a stove big enough to help heat the house. The other question I have is one place was trying to sell me a pellet insert vs a wood burning one? whats your opinion on that? Since we are getting a bad thunder storm im going to wrap this up quick and check back later for responses.

Thanks
Andy

Ok the thunder storm is over. The more I think about it the more im leaning toward the insert if I can safely put one in my fireplace? As nice as the free standing stove would be My wife is concerned about the space it would take up. As for the pellets I think I'm leaning towards wood. I live on Long Island so most likely I would have to buy wood anyway but I could cut up and season my own wood if I ever had a tree come down. I also have a friend who works at a mill work shop who Can get me scrap Oak posts about 4x4 and 12- 18 inches long. Im assuming I can burn these in the stove right? My main concern is I would like to feel confident That if Im burning wood when the family is asleep or when we are work It will be safe. How do you know if the compnay you hire to put the insert in is good at what they do? Ok enough questions for tonight.

in most cases inserting a wood unit into a heatilator is not an option unless it is rated for such a use. it may be possible to have a freestanding unit on the hearth and drop a liner down to connect to it. but im not sure about the insert. maybe the small VC insert hopefully the members will be able to put you on track with what can be done , my company does not build an insert that can be installed in a heatilator though corie may be looking at that soon.

Thats what I was afraid of. The one local stove store said it would be no problem But he was a young kid who didnt seen to have too much real knowledge. I dont want to do anything to put my House or family in a dangerous situation.

dont just give up on it yet , there are alteratives that can be done. i would look around your local area and see if you can locate a "WETT" or "CSIA" certified sweep and ask options of him , he should be familiar with local code (and isnt trying to sell you a stove) so odds are you would get the straight poop from him. also keep an eye peeled in here as the members here are fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.