Need help identifying a stove.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Appears to be a soapstone, Hearthstone? Woodstock? other? Looks alot like a Hearthstone to me, but not like any on their site. Maybe an older version?
Its for sale locally, and they are asking $1250.00. Might as well at least go look at it.
Any ideas fellers? I did email the seller for more info. Listed as Hearthstone, so I guess that anwers that, but what model? Says 44,000 btu

Soapstonestove.jpg

Hearthstone 3, I believe.

hearthstone I have double doors, was less attractive.

Hearthstone II had a goofy looking top shape.

I could be wrong though. I used to have all of the ODL hearthstone catalogs, but they seem to have been misplaced and all I've got is the current one.

I concur. H3. $1250 seems a little high for a 20 plus year old stove....you can get the tribute wich is rated at approx 40k for 1150 brand new.

Hearthstone ll or lll btw some in the mid and late 80's were cat stoves. Find out the age. To me that sounds like a lot of money for a 20 year old stove when a New Englander is less money

For some reason, the people that own these old hearthstones seem to think solid gold was used somewhere in the construction of the unit.

Thats the top shelf advice I was looking for and the reason I come here. I'll go for the Englander as Elk said, when its on the clearance rack. I been to HD so much this summer & fall for working on this new, old house. They know me. Joked I should get a time card & cot there. I'll have to ask them to let me know when the clearance goes on. I'd even take the floor model.I do think the one BB has would blast me out in 750 sf addition, so I am going to look at the mid size. Its rated for 1500 sf. I'd rather have too much and crack a window, than not enough. Thanks again guys, u da men!

Hogwildz said:
Thats the top shelf advice I was looking for and the reason I come here. I'll go for the Englander as Elk said, when its on the clearance rack. I been to HD so much this summer & fall for working on this new, old house. They know me. Joked I should get a time card & cot there. I'll have to ask them to let me know when the clearance goes on. I'd even take the floor model.I do think the one BB has would blast me out in 750 sf addition, so I am going to look at the mid size. Its rated for 1500 sf. I'd rather have too much and crack a window, than not enough. Thanks again guys, u da men!

Good idea. You put this hoss and a Summit in the same house you will have to go sleep in a sleeping bag in the yard. Or in the bathtub filled with water.

This is one of them, isnt this a 2?

(Editors note - this is a HearthStone III)

Attachments

• hearthstone.jpg
    hearthstone.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 762
Last edited by a moderator:
i stand corrected, thanks Dylan! i always get those first three models mixed up.

that said, the one this thread is about cant be a three then, must be a 1 or 2?

MountainStoveGuy said:
i stand corrected, thanks Dylan! i always get those first three models mixed up.

The guy emailed me back, says its a II, doesn't know anything else , guesses ita around a 2000 yr model. He full of S--t and asking way too much. He has an old VC also for sale asking $950 for that. I think hes a dealertrying to resell older ones he replaces. I'll concentrate on the Summit installation, and when clearance sale starts, hit HD for the mid size Englander. That should be plenty o heat for me :).

Hogwildz said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

The guy emailed me back, says its a II, doesn't know anything else , guesses ita around a 2000 yr model. He full of S--t and asking way too much. He has an old VC also for sale asking $950 for that. I think hes a dealertrying to resell older ones he replaces. I'll concentrate on the Summit installation, and when clearance sale starts, hit HD for the mid size Englander. That should be plenty o heat for me :).

If 2000 year model have him get the model info off the plate on the back.

Dylan said:
Vintage 181 said:
Hogwildz said:
MountainStoveGuy said:

If 2000 year model have him get the model info off the plate on the back.

He's waiting for the turnip truck to pull into town.

He's going to be waiting a long time then :)

That's a Hearthstone II. I have the exact same one in my house. Mine has a "Catalytic Combustor", which I have taken a part right now while I clean it. The "mixing chamber" does take up alot of room in the firebox. I think they also offered this model w/o the catalytic. I'm guessing mine is from the late '80s. If you wanna pay that much, I'll sell you mine (mine's in much better shape) and go get me a new Phoenix!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.