Need help identifying a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NilBarnes

Dec 8, 2006
I've been wanting to get back into wood burning since I left my old house. I was able to get a free stove 2nd hand that has never been used but... I cannot find any information on in or around it besides what was written on the inside top. I've called my insurance and they say that an unlisted stove is fine with them as long as I follow regulation. I would like to find more info about this stove so I may be able to install it in a more compact space.

It's not as pretty as some but free is free, and I understand this is a newer efficient(re burn?) stove.

Another question while I'm at it. I have all the firebrick but don't have any form of a grate to keep the wood off of it. Would one be needed?

I'm headed to a stove shop this weekend but I feel I wont be told things just to get a sale here.

Thank you!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 354
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 347
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 338
  • Stovetop.jpg
    Stovetop.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 352
No help on identifying it, but it looks like a home-brew stove, or very limited production. It looks to me like it would definitely be a PRE-EPA stove, which means that it is NOT going to be very efficient compared to a modern stove, and that it WILL pollute alot more than your neighbors will like.

As to the fire brick, there are lots of stoves that don't use grates, just build the fire right on top of the bricks.

Gooserider

I can understand it being a small batch stove but it sure is well thought out to be a home built, and never used on top of that. I believe that it was professionally built. It has the 'hot air washed' window feature, totally enclosed with brick fire box, air is introduced into the gas mix before rounding the corner and out the stove pipe. It's defiantly more elaborate than any other stove I've ran.

Thanks for the info so far. I'm posting another picture with brick layout to hopefully jog somebody's mind. Any lurkers out there please help if you have any ideas.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Brick layout.jpg
    Brick layout.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 307
I forgot to add the bricks on the back wall for the pic. I guess their 15 minutes of fame will have to wait.

I doubt you are going to get away with anything but maximum code clearances, but it looks like an interesting stove. I'd love to see it fired up. With clean burning practices, it might turn out to be a decent heater.

What angle is the brick layout shot from? The front I take it. Are there bricks in the back, but not installed? None on the right side? It almost looks like the brick work is incomplete. I'm looking forward to Corie's observations on this one.

Intersesting indeed. Looks like the top bricks actually form the baffel to lengthen the smoke path. It also looks as if the smoke will have to come forward, then up around the brick and back to the outlet.
I bet that thing will burn pretty clean once you get up to speed on running it.

Oh...sorry no help on the I.D.

Yes BeGreen The photo was taken looking in through the door. The box would be completely brick lined top, sides, and back symmetrically none of course covering the door :). I was too lazy to install them all for the photo, sorry about the confusion.

Bruce: Is chevis and son any kind of a manufacturer that you know of, or do you think someone just wrote it there? If it is a stove maker do you know of a way to get a hold of them, my googling has been empty handed.

Once again thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.