Need help identifying an older LOPI stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtek

Dec 7, 2010
Rhode Island
HI,
We just bought a home in Rhode Island. It has a LOPI stove as well as a central heating system. The problem I have is that I can't identify which model of stove we have. I need the model number as I want to refurbish the stove to 'as new' condition.

The previous owner just did not maintain the stove at all. So far I have discovered that the gasket on the glass was around an inch too short and not adhered to the glass in any way. The glass actually rocked back and forth in the door. The door gasket itself was leaking very badly as well. There are three firebricks in the roof of the stove. Two are pushed to the right (as you look into the firebox) and one to the left. This leaves a gap that would nicely take a fourth brick. The problem is that I don't know if it is supposed to have four or not. In their current configuration the gap is to the left of the chimney hole above.

The sticker on the back which usually identifies a Lopi is almost completely torn off so I can't use that to get a model number. I think the stove was installed in the early nineties.

I have attached a few photos of the stove.

Note the thermometer wheel in the upper right hand corner of the front. This does not appear on any of Lopi's current models (as far as I can tell). Is there a way I can calibrate this??

Any and all help/advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• DSC01718-small.jpg
    DSC01718-small.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 2,401
  • DSC01720-small.jpg
    DSC01720-small.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 3,568
  • DSC01721-small.jpg
    DSC01721-small.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,981
  • DSC01722-small.jpg
    DSC01722-small.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 1,947
Huh, doesn't look that old, really. It looks really nice, in fact, you might just need to do some gasket work... How big is it? It looks almost as big as the liberty, but the Answer (smaller stove) is the only freestanding stove that doesn't have a step top in their current lineup. It's very similar to their Revere or Freedom inserts, - I wonder if the inserts were ever done as freestanding because that looks like it's supposed to be like that, not like it was just rigged up that way.

Take some measurements, and you can see if it's the same as the Freedom?
http://www.lopistoves.com/product_guide/detail.aspx?id=212#Dimensions

The opening of the firebox is 21 inches wide. The total height is 35 inches (includes the pedestal) - without the pedestal is is 23 inches high. The greatest width is 30 inches. The depth (not including the shelf to catch ash is 23 inches.

Sounds like it's the same as the Freedom insert, to me. You can download the manual for it from the link I left above, it should give you a couple diagrams of the firebricks and all that you can use to doublecheck. You can also call a local dealer of Lopi and get THEM to check with Lopi whether the Freedom insert was ever done as a freestanding, though I suppose it's possible that your homeowner did that him/herself. Unfortunately you can't reach Lopi directly as they do everything through the dealers. But their website has a lot of neat info on it, videos etc.

That's a nice looking stove! Love the look of the brass! Good luck with the restoration..

Ray

I emailed a tech at Travis Industries (makers of LOPI stoves). He has identified it as a FLEX-95. The manual he sent has a November 1992 date on it. Judging from the manual the 'flex' aspect is because it is designed to be either freestanding or an insert.

Jim

mtek said:
I emailed a tech at Travis Industries (makers of LOPI stoves). He has identified it as a FLEX-95. The manual he sent has a November 1992 date on it. Judging from the manual the 'flex' aspect is because it is designed to be either freestanding or an insert.

Jim

Cool, glad you got such quick results and didn't have to go through a middleman. That's a really nice stove, are there secondary burn tubes or a cat? Travis industries still does their Avalon stoves as an insert or freestanding like that. That looks like it would be as big as the Avalon Olympic, maybe. I like the lopi doors better than the avalon ones though. Too bad my lopi has the "plain jane" door, oh well!

There is one burn tube and a catalytic converter in the stove. You should see if the Lopi door is a fit for your stove. Want some measurements??

Jim

There is one burn tube and a catalytic converter in the stove. You should see if the Lopi door is a fit for your stove. Want some measurements??

Jim

Nah, mine is a new stove bought only a year ago, it's the same stove as their Revere insert but they gave it a plain door, and it cost something like $500 less, which I could live with. THanks though!

Rebuilt one 2 years ago would have made my own secondary airtube if I would have known what I was buying, stoves a keeper no more cadstoves from Lopi

wood tick said:
Rebuilt one 2 years ago would have made my own secondary airtube if I would have known what I was buying, stoves a keeper no more cadstoves from Lopi

I'm new to the whole stove experience. What's a cadstove and how and/or where would you build a secondary airtube??

Jim

mtek said:
wood tick said:

I'm new to the whole stove experience. What's a cadstove and how and/or where would you build a secondary airtube??

Jim

Jim what we are saying is you may have a catalytic stove which has a catalytic combuster to burn off the smoke (smoke is wasted energy and pollutes the air) and reduce your wood consumed to 50% less than a conventional wood stove and that's a good thing..

Ray

raybonz said:
Jim what we are saying is you may have a catalytic stove which has a catalytic combuster to burn off the smoke (smoke is wasted energy and pollutes the air) and reduce your wood consumed to 50% less than a conventional wood stove and that's a good thing..

Ray

The stove does have a catalytic combuster and there's almost no smoke out of the chimney. What did the other guy mean about a second air tube?

Jim

mtek said:
raybonz said:

Ray

The stove does have a catalytic combuster and there's almost no smoke out of the chimney. What did the other guy mean about a second air tube?

Jim

Jim you are the proud owner of a cat stove! Disregard what the other guy said if you have a cat you don't have a secondary burn stove.. You're gonna love that stove! Congrats!

Ray

wood tick said:
Check your parts manual from Travis Ind. Pipe is called secondary air tube if you dont have a parts manual I would be glad to email you one

Thanks for the offer. The manual they sent me has the parts listed in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.