need help in choosing new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

topcat

Mar 14, 2007
burrilville,Rhode Island
hi everyone my name is tom. I have enjoyed this forum very much over the past 6 months. i now have a very important question for all of you who have more experience in this field than i.I am a first time home owner aswell as a first time wood burner my wife and i have enjoyed burning wood .My house came with and old consolidated dutchwest 288ccl it was a freestanding insert located in living room on first floor. last week the doors broke off. now we are in need of a new stove.our house is 1800 sq.ft colonial.I am currently looking at an appalachian 36bw. the old stove used to heat the house pretty well except the kitchen.anyways how is the appalachian36bw for my needs which are heating the whole house on wood if possible if not atleast as much as the other stove which was 4 cords of oak since november and about 70 gallons of of oil per month.we live in the northwest part of rhode island which is typcilly the coldest part of the state.is this a good stove to purchase the price is around $1700 b4 delivery and instal add another $600 to that or should i look in adifferent direction.I’m sorry for the long post but i figure the more info i provide the better. i appreciate any and all info the great people of this forum can provide.thank you . and to all keep burning safe p.s. i'm not interested in fixing the old one so pls.don't ask how it broke just testimonials of the stove you have. thanks

I didn't see the square footage of the house mentioned in the other post?

Also, what's the insulation and window condition?

That will help us help you to pick a unit.

Also:

Non-cat vs catalytic
Soapstone vs Cast Iron vs Steel
Top loader?
Side loader?

the house is 1800+sq.ft. 2 level colonial. i'm not sure of the insulation but the windows are brand new vinyl lockheed brand triple e isulated glass top of the line installed last sept. as far as stove goes i'm looking for something that will heat the house hopefully with out the help from mr. oil co. front loader with large or med. window view.so we can see the pretty flames and such.cat or non cat doesn't really matter which ever is best same goes for ss or cast must have ashpan and blower to push the heat out enough to get it upstairs. and price is also important someting under 2k for sure.i hope this will help assist me in my choice.thanks, tom

topcat said:
i'm looking to purchase a new stove all my info is in my other post tagged appalachian 36bw thank you all suggestions will be appreciated

Hey, in a very nice way, why should we chase your specs. We will help, but don't put the burden on us to research your problem. Quick quality responses come from posts that are full of information and have the data needed to give a response. I think it is a little much to expect us to do your job. If your prior post didn't get a response, there must be something missing. That's your job. Sorry if your baffle is wrinkled.

Morso 3610 should be perfect for that house. You wont be cold I can promise you that ;)

Topcat,

Something tells me that there is not a whole lot of feedback on this board for the App stove.

Did you go to the stove review section and see if anyone has reviewed the model you are considering?

Anyway, your price point is going to exclude the Woodstocks, PE Summit's, etc. If you followed the many threads, I think you would understand that owners of products from either manufacturer is very satisfied.

Since you have been lurking for 6 months, have any of the stove threads about a specific model caught your attention? I think if I was on a budget (or not), a Dutchwest should be considered; TraderGordo has a nice thread going for the Dutchwest. The guys and gals with Morso's like their units.

If the Appilachian is what you really want, then go for it. Then you can educate others on this board about the pluses or minuses about the units.

I think what you are really looking for is for someone to tell you if the App stove is what you want. And nobody can answer that question.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.