Need help installing 13-NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike(nj)

Sep 18, 2008
CNJ
I want to put it in the corner as close as I can to save space. I see Englander sells side shields & in the manual, says double wall w/heat shields. Does that mean double wall pipe going out of the stove + the shields?? I already bought single wall pipe kit...... What other option do I have? Thanks for any help!!!

mike(nj) said:
I want to put it in the corner as close as I can to save space. I see Englander sells side shields & in the manual, says double wall w/heat shields. Does that mean double wall pipe going out of the stove + the shields?? I already bought single wall pipe kit...... What other option do I have? Thanks for any help!!!

I have the same stove with the side heat shields setup kitty corner style. With each of the back corners 9.5" from either wall, my single wall stove pipe is beyond the required 18" to the walls.

If you wanted to go flush with the walls, you'd either have to get a pipe heat shield, wall heat sheilds, or run double wall stove pipe.

Double wall they are referring to is Class A insulated double wall from the stove all the way up.

Tfin, looking in the manual, shouldn't you have double wall pipe along with the side shields to be 18" min. away?? Did you get a permit & inspection? Thanks for all your help!!!

Single-wall connector pipe minimum clearance to combustibles is 18". Rick

Could it be they're referring to the dimension from the corner (intersection of the walls) out to the pipe wall in a corner installation? That would put the pipe 18" from each of the side walls. Dunno. I work a lot better with drawings or pictures. :lol: Rick

24-1/2" is E for a corner install, from flue to wall.
You should be looking at B & C, which now I am confused, cause they are giving longer lengths for double wall and the shorter measurements for single wall??? Then the pic says 18". Somethings a misprint, or I am misreading?
Call Englander.

mike(nj) said:
Single-wall connector pipe minimum clearance to combustibles is 18”. Rick

In the manual it says 24.5 inches?? As i'm scratching my head.......

I know the section you're refering to mike, and I believe this has been discussed in the past. If memory serves me correctly, there was some confusion about that printing. If you read further in the manual it states several more times that the single wall (min 24 gage) pipe must be at least 18" from a combustible surface.

I believe there is also a height from the stove top at which the single wall pipe no longer needs to be a min of 18" from a combustible surface (i.e. where the pipe would potentually connect to the ceiling support box....obviously the stove pipe is not 18" away from the ceiling at this point.

There are two Englander guys that post here. Hopefully one of them will clarify this again for us.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/13-NC2004.pdf

Hogwildz said:
24-1/2" is E for a corner install, from flue to wall.
You should be looking at B & C, which now I am confused, cause they are giving longer lengths for double wall and the shorter measurements for single wall??? Then the pic says 18". Somethings a misprint, or I am misreading?
Call Englander.

I remember this from before. According to Mike at ESW, the reason for the greater distance with double wall connecting pipe (stove pipe) is because the double wall pipe keeps the flue hotter, which increases draft, which makes the stove burn hotter. At least that's how I understood it.

I do want to install it kitty corner....... So what if I get the side heat shields , put it no closer than 8.5 from the wall on the corners and make sure the single wall pipe is at least 18" away?? This just isn't making sence to me.

You should really call Englander and get the word from the manufacturer.
Ask for Mike Horton

Hogwildz said:
Double wall they are referring to is Class A insulated double wall from the stove all the way up.

From a recent discussion, I thought that was declared not allowed? I'm pretty sure the Englander charts refer to double-wall connector pipe, not class A pipe.

I never heard that Class A was not allowed interior of the home? When was this discussed?
What is the reasoning?
Not saying I can't be wrong.

In this case, we're talking double wall chimney connector. And yes, with the 13NC, through some oddities in the testing process, it turned out that MORE clearance was required with double wall chimney connector vs. single wall connector.

Call Mike Holton or myself at the office for more advice concerning this.

Hogwildz said:
I never heard that Class A was not allowed interior of the home? When was this discussed?
What is the reasoning?
Not saying I can't be wrong.

No, no, it's not that it's not allowed in the interior of the home. I just recall that it wasn't appropriate to use it as a connector pipe to the stove. For some reason I thought this was posed for another Englander. Searched but haven't been able to find it yet. It was pretty recent though.

mike(nj) said:
I do want to install it kitty corner....... So what if I get the side heat shields , put it no closer than 8.5 from the wall on the corners and make sure the single wall pipe is at least 18" away?? This just isn't making sence to me.

In short yes. This is my exact setup (except my corners are 9.5" from the walls). I know the manual is confusing in this area. Rather than me trying to fumble through the reasoning, definately save yourself some time (and anxiety) and call either Mike or Corie at Englander. They'd be more than happy to explain in detail what is acceptable and what isn't, and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.