Need help installing a Jamestown J1000 exhaust venting up an existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tcovely

Dec 19, 2007
Eastern Pa
I have a Jamestown j1000 that I want to install where my old wood stove was in my kitchen. I need to come up 5 feet from the back of the stove into my chimney. Then up about 10 feet up to the top of my chimney. Do I have to run exhaust pipe and intake all the way up to the top? Can I just draw fresh air from the room. Any advice on installation and exact products would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Used to be a guy around here knew a lot about Jamestowns. Is he still around? If he is, he should be able to answer your stove specific questions.

According to manufacturers specs you have to reline any existing chimney and you must use outside air for combustion. So do be in line with their specs and to get your warranty coverage I would recommend it. The lining of the chimney will be a good thing regardless of manufacturers instruction. The outside air alot of time seems to not be absolutely necessary. I draw this conclusion based on the fact that alot of other manufactuers do not require outside air but make it optional instead. Don't take that as a recomendation that you do anything outside of manufacturers listed installation instructions though.

If it is HT2100 or Class A Factory built chimney PIPE
you could just adapt to it.
BUT IS IS ALWAY BEST TO RUN PIPE ALL THE WAY UP.
AND OR FOLLOW MANUFACURES MIN SPECS.

if it is a BRICK and or clay chimney then YES reline all the way up to the top.

In the real world that stove would probably work just fine installed as described. It's unfortunate that the manufacturer is so specific in the requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.