1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need help installing a Jamestown J1000 exhaust venting up an existing chimney

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by tcovely, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcovely

tcovely New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pa
    I have a Jamestown j1000 that I want to install where my old wood stove was in my kitchen. I need to come up 5 feet from the back of the stove into my chimney. Then up about 10 feet up to the top of my chimney. Do I have to run exhaust pipe and intake all the way up to the top? Can I just draw fresh air from the room. Any advice on installation and exact products would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    Used to be a guy around here knew a lot about Jamestowns. Is he still around? If he is, he should be able to answer your stove specific questions.
  3. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
  4. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    According to manufacturers specs you have to reline any existing chimney and you must use outside air for combustion. So do be in line with their specs and to get your warranty coverage I would recommend it. The lining of the chimney will be a good thing regardless of manufacturers instruction. The outside air alot of time seems to not be absolutely necessary. I draw this conclusion based on the fact that alot of other manufactuers do not require outside air but make it optional instead. Don't take that as a recomendation that you do anything outside of manufacturers listed installation instructions though.
  5. hearthtools

hearthtools Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Oakhurst, California, USA, Earth
    If it is HT2100 or Class A Factory built chimney PIPE
    you could just adapt to it.
    BUT IS IS ALWAY BEST TO RUN PIPE ALL THE WAY UP.
    AND OR FOLLOW MANUFACURES MIN SPECS.

if it is a BRICK and or clay chimney then YES reline all the way up to the top.
  6. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    In the real world that stove would probably work just fine installed as described. It's unfortunate that the manufacturer is so specific in the requirements.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.