Need help installing blower kit for wood fireplace please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovinwaves

Dec 22, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Just got my FBK-200 Fireplace blower kit in and I need some help with the positioning of the blower please. Not sure if it goes in front of the metal in the lower part, or in BACK of it towards the back of the fireplace? Which side is up and which side is down? lol

here are pictures of my situation.

038872e7.jpg

60c8a52f.jpg

b8e053e2.jpg

I want to surprise my husband with a nice toasty fire when he comes home from work :D

Ok, it's installed. I taped some pieces of paper towels up on top of the exiting vent to see which position of the blower put out the most air. It looks like further towards the back was the best, so that's why I did. Any objections? Here are photos!

Unfortunately, I can't get my fire started <<giggle>> We were just delivered freshly cut wood, is that my problem? Something about seasoning? Wow, I am such a fire noob. Help. Thanks :)

(ignore the brown cord dangling, that is for christmas light decorations on my mantle)

312c080d.jpg

89ed15dd.jpg

aaeb3a2e.jpg

a26316b4.jpg

Well, green firewood is certainly a big problem. It doesn't want to burn easily. Try smaller pieces if possible, and build yourself a good starter fire of newspaper and kindling/small pieces first.

I can smell that green wood from here. You better split it to the diameter of your finger and use lots of newspaper. You also may want to store some firewood indoors so it seasons at least a little faster. I noticed what looked like some water staining on the bottom of that chamber. May want to check into that before it fries your fancy new fan.

Franks said:
I can smell that green wood from here. You better split it to the diameter of your finger and use lots of newspaper. You also may want to store some firewood indoors so it seasons at least a little faster. I noticed what looked like some water staining on the bottom of that chamber. May want to check into that before it fries your fancy new fan.

pretty dang green isn't it? lovely. I called the guy and he is going to deliver some "dryer" wood this afternoon free of charge.

Thanks for noticing the water stains. I'm guessing it's because this house was a builder foreclosure and it sat for 2 years with the dampener possibly open? We've never noticed water since we have lived here for 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.