Need Help Installing Support Collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

j_v_z

Nov 28, 2012
Hello,
I this is a picture of the cealing where m flue runs through the top of my roof: 2012-11-26_14-06-53_434.jpg

this is a picture (item B) of the collar I was told would work even after I showed her the picture of my ceiling.yhst-95622685483394_2234_185118661.jpg

obviously this item will not work unless I build a box between my ceiling studs so that i can create a stud nailer that will be close enough on the right side...

but i dont know if this is kosher as far as inspection (in WA state) goes?

If i do build said box, do I have to have some sort of metal lining the box/transition into the flue? must the void be filled with something ? please share w/me any info you can, as descriptively as you can.

thank you in advance for your help

You must not have any attic space? Just a vaulted/insulated/sheathed ceiling-roof structure? If so, I can see how they work, but i would think "C" would work better..But "B" should work. It will rotate into the space of the opening ok I would guess. It doesn't look to me like it mounts to studs, but to the ceiling roof structure itself..?

What chimney manufacturer are you using? I would see if you couldn't frame out a box that hangs down a bit, and then use a standard attic style interface/support box, with just the bottom couple inches showing/exposed..and then finish the outside to match your ceiling finish.

As far as inspection, you need to check with the LOCAL inspector. While the state sets the basics, local jurisdictions can and will have their own rules, and they will be who does the actual inspection if needed. At least around here, the guy is pretty good to work with, and will answer your questions and give recommendations..

I live in WA and the city inspects if you live in a city or the county inspects if you are not in a city. The state inspects electrical only.

Vaulted ceilings make life tough. Can we assume that these are not scissor trusses, meaning, you have no actual attic space? If so, the normal installation is a roof support with wings that attach to the decking. I'm not a fan of it and would almost prefer an "out and up" installation where you poke out the sidewall and then run the class A up the side of your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.