need help looking after market cylinder & piston for 064

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naandme

Jan 16, 2011
Eaton, Indiana
I was thinking about the BB kit but haven't heard alot of good reviews about it. Does anyone know of a after market cylinder and piston kit for a stihl 064 I have looked at several sites and can't seem to find one if anyone has any info I would appreciate it as I have the saw down and wanting to put i back together stihl has it but it is close to 300$ hope to find a after market kit. Any info would be great Thanks

I don't think anyone make aftermarket for the 064....

There is a pretty good chance that 066 top end will fit with no modifications tho... Take the jug to a dealer and lay a 066 head gasket on it and see if the holes line up.. Mine did and the 066 went on real easy....

Thanks Southbound I checked the sites you sent earlier and the BB opition I haven,t found an after market for it but I will take the cylinder in the morning and see. Will the 2mm more piston make a difference as far as crankcase celerence?

Yes it can..Mine did not....

If it does there is a little grinding to be done.. Not hard but you can't let any chips in the case unless you want to do new bearings....

Haven't been on much fliped my ATV 4 wheeler on Thrusday been pretty stoved up I will look at it right now.

Southbound I have that one on my watch list go ahead and get it I have a 066 kit I think I am going to go ahead and get. I hope it will go on with out alot of extra work it will increase the cylinder size by just 2mm so I am hopeing I will not have to increase the crankcase opening but I will probably have to slot the cylinder bolt holes and redrill and tap the case to 6mm to accept the bolts. I just haven't done much the last few days just trying to get feeling better.

I did not redrill for 6 mm I just got longer bolts...

I have run it a bunch and see no reason for 6mm...

This is just my experience tho....

Big bore would be the 066/660.....Oh Just got a 036 in! Lip stick only! lol

Well that is good I don't really want to modify the crankcase if I don't have to. My hope is it will bolt up and I don't have to mill the sides of the case it wouldn't be much only going up 2mm or 1mm actually on each side for the piston to clear. I believe it will work fine going today to get the gasket and check the bolt pattern. I will let you guys know hope to snap some pics when the process starts of putting it together

Status
Not open for further replies.