Need Help: New Chimney & Hearth Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Start with some accurate measurements. M&G's catalog has the dimensions for the ceiling support box and piping. Figure out how close the DVL will actually be to the two bulkheads. If you have no options then some options may be to relocate the stove in another area or another location in the room. Or, if the inspector will approve, to shield each of the bulkhead surfaces with an 18" section of metal on 1" non-combustible standoffs.

Okay. I was trying to do just that on Excel's website but can't find the dimensions for the support box. Just so I understand the measurement though, it would be the outside edge of the stove pipe to the bulkhead surface, right?

The floor joists run parallel with the finished wall. So I know I can shift the box away from the bulkhead on the same wall as the exposed insulation. It's the distance from the bulkhead on the finished wall that I'm worried about because I can't move it over to the next joist.

82cb95a3de03026e4aab910f4081738a.jpg

That's correct, sorry for some reason I was thinking DuraTech here. Hmmm, wondering if you could use their square support box and drop it down so that the stove pipe doesn't start until it is clear of the bulkheads?

That's correct, sorry for some reason I was thinking DuraTech here. Hmmm, wondering if you could use their square support box and drop it down so that the stove pipe doesn't start until it is clear of the bulkheads?

That's the other option I was thinking. Their website actually shows an extension available. Just wonder if that would look ridiculous though. :-/

I don't know if you would need an extension. How tall is the bulkhead?

The other option I was considering is rerouting the HVAC ductwork. So going from a 90 around that corner to two 45's. That would create a triangle in that back corner and allow a direct straight shot above to the chase and chimney pipe. I could then place the stove wherever and run the stove pipe at two 45's to the support box. Is there a considerable advantage to having a straight shot for chimney pipe as opposed to an offset? I wouldn;t have to mess with building a new chase upstairs and I'm pretty sure this would solve any clearance issues with the stove pipe as I would just make sure the new ductwork (and bulkhead) is far enough away.

Thoughts?

If moving the ductwork is practical, it sounds like it's worth considering. There seems to be a lot of positive aspects. The upstairs chase becomes clean and takes less space, clearance issues are resolved, costs will be lower too, chimney elbows are expensive.

Is the furnace in the garage?

Reactions: MacinJosh
If moving the ductwork is practical, it sounds like it's worth considering. There seems to be a lot of positive aspects. The upstairs chase becomes clean and takes less space, clearance issues are resolved, costs will be lower too, chimney elbows are expensive.

Is the furnace in the garage?

No. In the basement. The house has half a basement. It is not located under the wood laminate flooring you see in the pictures. That is a concrete slab. The stove will sit on that.

Why not run it thru the wall and go outside with the pipe? I wouldn't feel comfortable running stove pipe thru my kids room knowing that I could have a chimney fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Why not run it thru the wall and go outside with the pipe? I wouldn't feel comfortable running stove pipe thru my kids room knowing that I could have a chimney fire.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not possible. See crude houseplan sketch above. The other side of the wall where the stove sits is my garage.

Chimney pipe technology appears to have come a long way. 2" minimum clearance on triple wall capable of handling a chimney fire is quite impressive. I can assure you the existing chimney pipe that is in that chase that was used for 40 years in the house was far inferior.

I'm not building a new chase. I'm trying to reuse the existing one.

View attachment 194412

Basement is located under the living room and kithchen. Concrete under the den and entry way.
So what is the ductwork supplying or returning air to/from? The garage?

Consider double-wall chimney pipe instead of triple-wall. Triple wall is economy pipe. Double-wall is better made and has a smaller OD while still maintaining the 2" clearance. Excel is double-wall.

So what is the ductwork supplying or returning air to/from? The garage?

Consider double-wall chimney pipe instead of triple-wall. Triple wall is economy pipe. Double-wall is better made and has a smaller OD while still maintaining the 2" clearance. Excel is double-wall.

Ah, sorry. Meant double wall.

Ductwork goes to bedroom upstairs.

Remember how I said I was 99% sure the chimney was in that very corner? Well, I think I was wrong. I got to looking very close last night and took some outside measurements. Pretty sure the pipe is right above the HVAC in the middle of the back wall with the sliding glass door.

000113e5980329f6c4e96633bfc96210.jpg

I honestly have no idea what I'm gonna do now. Maybe this isn't meant to be. Lol

View attachment 194412

Basement is located under the living room and kithchen. Concrete under the den and entry way.

Is your garage finished, or something on the other side? If not why not run it through the wall into the garage use double wall then through the roof in your garage? You shouldn't have an issue with clearances and no re-routing of things.

Is your garage finished, or something on the other side? If not why not run it through the wall into the garage use double wall then through the roof in your garage? You shouldn't have an issue with clearances and no re-routing of things.

Lots of reasons going through the wall and out won't work for me. I have shelving in the garage where the pipe would have to go etc etc.

I'm going to reroute the ductwork and create and whole drop down section of ceiling. Tile the floor under that dropped section to tie it all in aesthetically. That way the sliding glass door going outside to back patio is tiled as well for mud etc. The stove won't go in the corner but instead up against that unfinished wall. Gonna be a hell of a project but it should look great in the end. I'll be able to use existing chase and it will be a straight vertical run. Will post here as I go along. Thanks for the help guys.

I have a plan. :)

Good to hear, wasn't sure if you had thought of running through the garage. Looking forward to the end product.

Reactions: MacinJosh
Because it does not work as well. straight up off the top of the stove works way better from a performance standpoint. It is also really easy to clean. And if installed correctly there is not really any risk of a structure fire being caused by that chimney even in the event of a chimney fire.