Need Help!!! Newb restores VC Intrepid 2.....looking for advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcasini

Mar 21, 2009
Southern CT
I recently found a Vermont Castings Intrepid 2 model 1308...with heat shields for $100 on the side of the road. Not being a wood burner but knowing when I have come across a good deal I decided to jump on it. The stove was never cleaned and totally clogged up..Cat included. I cleaned it, and am in the process of wire brushing it and applying stove black. Just by looking at parts diagrams I think it needs a refractory box, throat hood, Cat, and a piece of glass. I don't really have a house suitable for burning but one can dream! Someday I would like to build a sun room and put in there. Any way I have a few questions if the elders of the site would like to help a newb.

Q1. This model has double paned glass....one of the inner panes is broken...do I need to replace it or can I flip the stays around and just leave it as single paned. What is the purpose of the double pane?

Q2.Is this stove worth investing the time and parts.

Aesthetically it is a beautiful stove with no cracks or anything parts missing. It really caught my eye while driving....My wife on the other hand is not as enthusiastic about this beautiful piece of americana as I am.

Follow this link to see pics of the restoration in progress.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rcasini/sets/72157615702493470/

Regards,

Frontiersman

Cat stoves are exspensive to repair but worth it in the long run in my opinion they burn really clean and burn less wood than non do . sounds like you got a good deal and if your handy can fix it . If you can't burn right away throw a couple of candles in there may the wife will see your vision.LOL!! good luck

Refractory......#1602527.......sug. retail....$229.83
Throat hood......#1306763......sug. retail......$23.11
glass........#1401152.........sug. retail.....$37.73
You could pick up a Cat for around $140-$170
Piece of Americana..........priceless

Sounds like a good deal if nothing else is wrong in the stove. I would do all the gaskets while you have it apart. Check the upper and lower firebacks for cracks or warpage.

Status
Not open for further replies.