need help on insert decision

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
hello. I am new to the forum. I've read up on pages that have come up on google searches and you all seem to know what your talking about. I have a fireplace with the heat ducts installed in the brick. Two intake on the bottom two heat outputs on the top. I am tired of paying for oil so i would like to get an insert. can anyone steer me in the right direction? My house is about 1200 sq ft 3br. I've been looking at the drolet escape 1400, the century 65000 btu, and the us stove 2200i. I'm leaning towards the us stove for the burn time and output it says on their site. can anyone lend me some advice?

I know very little about any of those stoves, but after a quick search for their specs I'd lean towards the Drolet, only because it's got the largest firebox at 1.8 cubic feet. The Century is listed as 1.45 cubic feet, which is quite small, and the US Stove at 1.2 cubic feet, which is tiny. But you will get better advice if you tell us a bit more about your situation. Where do you live? Do you hope to heat the whole house with this, or just a room or two? What are the dimensions of the existing firebox? Also, it helps if you post a picture of the fireplace so we all have a common reference and can spot problems.

Oh, also: is the chimney on an outside wall, or inside?

Look at the Osburns who is made by SBI Stove Builders International who also makes the Drolet stoves. You can get a great stove-insert for under $2,000 and awsome customer service should you need it.

Reactions: Iembalm4aLiving
thank you for your responses. i have heard that drolet is a well known brand. i am looking to heat a 1200 square foot ranch with an insert until i can add a den and put in a wood stove. the chimney is an inside wall. the fireplace is in the middle of the living room which is centrally located in my house. i also spotted this insert which is flush mount which would be my preference but i can't find any reviews on it. this is the link. http://www.monessenhearth.com/family/Fireplace-Inserts/Non-Catalytic/Windsor/

I don't know the Monessen Windsor but Monessen always seems in corporate turmoil. Issues of them buying Vermont Castings and wouldn't honor warranties. I wouldn't buy from them. As posted above, get the biggest firebox for best price. Take mfg BTU ratings with a dose of skepticism. What area do you live in? Climate?

Another Osburn fan here. I'm on my 2nd season with my 2200 and I love it. You find most guys love what they have installed in their homes, provided their wood is good and dry. Most suggest you install the insert with the largest firebox that will fit. You have the option to use less wood than will fit when temps are mild, but are able to use more when the temps drop.

Reactions: Beer Belly
Another Osburn fan here. I'm on my 2nd season with my 2200 and I love it. You find most guys love what they have installed in their homes, provided their wood is good and dry. Most suggest you install the insert with the largest firebox that will fit. You have the option to use less wood than will fit when temps are mild, but are able to use more when the temps drop.
I agree, the biggest one that will fit. Our Avalon Ranier (1.8 cu. ft.) does heat our 1,700 sq. ft. Split Ranch, but burn times are not that great. If I could have, I would of went bigger.

i live on Eastern Long Island, NY. I have heard good things about osburn. So osburn vs drolet escape. what do you think?

They are both made by the same company. Drolet is the economy line. Osburn is a bit more upscale, Enerzone being their top end stoves. All are decent burners. Try to get one with a squarish firebox for more flexible loading options.

i know i'm jumping around here but i have also been looking at the Timber Ridge Wood Insert — 60,000 BTU, EPA-Certified, Model# 50-TNC131 from northern tool. My wife likes the gold trim and its not as expensive as an osburn. Does anyone have experience with this insert?

That is the same as an Englander 13NCi insert. There are many favorable reviews on it.

thank you for your responses. i have heard that drolet is a well known brand. i am looking to heat a 1200 square foot ranch with an insert until i can add a den and put in a wood stove. the chimney is an inside wall. the fireplace is in the middle of the living room which is centrally located in my house. i also spotted this insert which is flush mount which would be my preference but i can't find any reviews on it. this is the link. http://www.monessenhearth.com/family/Fireplace-Inserts/Non-Catalytic/Windsor/

Stay away from that insert, I had the Dutchwest stove which is the exact same stove ( same specs same look) and I used it for one season and got rid of it. The firebox is 1.3 cf which is super small. If you want to mess with a fire every two hours its the right stove for you.

I run an Osburn 2200 free standing - heating @ 1500 sq ft mostly on weekends. I don't know much about their inserts (others here do appear to be very happy with them) bit I just wanted to second what others have mentioned - get the most cu ft for your dollar. I think SBI is a good company and I'm very happy with my stove. I wouldn't mind just a bit more room in the firebox here either - but overall no complaints about the stove or SBI.

Reactions: Iembalm4aLiving
If you go ultra cheap with a smaller firebox sized insert, you are going to regret every penny saved. Get yourself the largest insert that will fit in there, and not have to worry when the time comes for the added heat demand. If it was me, I would be looking at the Osburn 2200 or something comparably as large. I love Englander, but that Timber Ridge ain't going to cut it when additional heat is needed.

+1 for biggest firebox you can fit. Love having good coals to restart with in the morning. And if you live in an area where there are periods when it gets below freezing and stays there, you will be thankful.

Go with what Hogwildz is saying. Bigger is better. If you have the option take a look at Kozy Heat ZC Z42 insert. I don't know if it will fit in your situation but they sure are nice.

I have been thinking of making the move and like what I see in the Buck stove insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.