Need Help On Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
I will be ordering an insert in the next few weeks, and I thought we were settled on the Jotul 350. But I have been doing some more reading here and elsewhere, and starting to look at the Lopi Declaration as well. I just printed both manuals so that I can do side-by-side comparisons. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to find prices on-line. The Jotul is $2375 at the local dealer here in CT, and I am looking for a price on the Declaration.

Any help and first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Also, any other inserts that I should be looking at would be helpful as well.

I do have this ready to feed whatever I buy:

IMG_8094Large.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

Well,

I just found a dealer nearby that has a Lopi Declaration in stock, but the cost for the stove alone is $3K, not including blower, panel surrounds, etc. So even though I will have to wait until early December for the Jotul, I can't see spending that much extra for the Declaration and having to shell out extra for surround, blowers, etc.

My mind is made up methinks, but I am still looking for advice and input.

Mike

This is not a close comparison for firebox size. The Declaration is almost 3 cu ft. The 350 is a small unit. The Jotul 550 would be a more appropriate comparison sizewise.

CT-Mike said:
Well,

I just found a dealer nearby that has a Lopi Declaration in stock, but the cost for the stove alone is $3K, not including blower, panel surrounds, etc. So even though I will have to wait until early December for the Jotul, I can't see spending that much extra for the Declaration and having to shell out extra for surround, blowers, etc.

My mind is made up methinks, but I am still looking for advice and input.

Mike

Can`t you broaden your search?? I did and drove 50 miles to pick up mine and installed it with the help of my local sweep.Saved 400 on the insert and another 300 on the install. And it is a sweet piece of work, the wife is opening windows as I type. And she is the one that insisted that I fire it up tonight :)

The Jotul 550 does not fit the firebox, and I should have said the Jotul 450 Tamarack, not the 350.

I bought my Jotul C550 Rockland at Preston Trading Post in CT for around $2400, delivered to RI. But that was in June.

Yah,

The $2375 is the price I was given at Preston Trading last weekend for the 450. Unfortunately the 550 won't fit in the firebox.

They are the best prices around for Jotul. I shopped around extensively. If you want to burn this year, you gotta buy what's available. I loved the Avalon stoves, I guess Lopi is the same. I think the Avalon Olympic is the same as the 450, if you can get it...

The 450 is a strong performing insert. Another would be the Regency 2400i or the dressed up version - Hampton HI300 if it fits. But as noted, this is the crazy season and supply is short. If you can get a good price on an insert you like, best to go for it.

Yah,

Bad time to be being an appliance. Preston told me if I put the deposit down now, the Jotul would be available in early December.

I don't know where you live, but Yankee Stove shop is on Rt. 44, in or near Glocester, RI. They have stoves in stock. If I remember, Regency /Hampton and Napoleon. Only 30 min north of Preston.

I live near Foxwooods. Is Yankee stove open on Sundays? I am thinking about heading up to Concord, NH to visit the in-laws and visiting abundantlifestoves.com They carry both Jotul and Lopi so that I can do some side by side comparisons.

CT,i don't think you have to worry about any one stealing your wood
with those guard dogs. :coolgrin:

bud,

Actually I have to stop the dogs from stealing pieces of the woodpile for chew toys.

I'm suprised that the dealer is charging you extra for the blower and the surroundings on Lopi Declaration. I just bought mine in May 08 at McKenney Electrical Co. in Holyoke, MA for approximately $2400 plus instalation. The blower and surroundings came standard. Lopi works great for me.

dashmag,

Thanks for the info. I will be calling McKenney tomorrow, maybe I can use their price as a bargaining chip for the local dealer.

Thanks,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.