Need help , Piazzetta Monia set up ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xcmark

Sep 22, 2014
Foxboro MA.
Hello all , Newbie to the pellet world! I had my local dealer install a new Monia 4 weeks ago but they never started the stove or even plugged it in for that matter! When I asked then about why they said fill it with fuel and you should be all set , we haven't had any training on set up.

I work in construction and understand what a I need to do to check how much draft I have with the way its installed but I don't see any thing in the manual on base line draft setting. please help me out any way you can , I don't feel my local dealer has had any factory training and they haven't been much help since the install.

So far I have burned 1/2 bag of cheap big box store pellets and the ash seams to be small flakes not powder , is this set up or fuel ? once that bag is gone I have 3 tons of Okie Doug Fir to burn .
Thank You in advance!

Mark
any advice ?

This is picture of Ecoteck Elena after firing for several times to eat a bag of decent pellets

Attachments

• DSCN0491.JPG
    DSCN0491.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 471
Hello all , Newbie to the pellet world! I had my local dealer install a new Monia 4 weeks ago but they never started the stove or even plugged it in for that matter! When I asked then about why they said fill it with fuel and you should be all set , we haven't had any training on set up.

I work in construction and understand what a I need to do to check how much draft I have with the way its installed but I don't see any thing in the manual on base line draft setting. please help me out any way you can , I don't feel my local dealer has had any factory training and they haven't been much help since the install.

So far I have burned 1/2 bag of cheap big box store pellets and the ash seams to be small flakes not powder , is this set up or fuel ? once that bag is gone I have 3 tons of Okie Doug Fir to burn .
Thank You in advance!

Mark
any advice ?
Welcome to the club. There are several threads on Piazzettas from last season, on both the Monia and Sabrina that should answer your questions, including draft settings, and all the other settings that you can change.

I have a new Piazzetta Monia as well, have only burned 3 bags of pellets thus far. Local shop installed it, we added pellets and started it up. We did not adjust anything, it is working well and produces powdery ash. I think the flaky ash may be due to the fuel you are using.

This is picture of Ecoteck Elena after firing for several times to eat a bag of decent pellets
yes that is exactly like the ash in my stove , I expected it to be more like very fine light gray but its more brown/black and sand like size but not hard .

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the club. There are several threads on Piazzettas from last season, on both the Monia and Sabrina that should answer your questions, including draft settings, and all the other settings that you can change.
I looked up all the old post but I didn't see where is was posted how many inches of water the draft should be at P1 - P4. Maybe its that but I just didn't understand what owner/installers are saying , Any suggestions ?

yes that is exactly like the ash in my stove , I expected it to be more like very fine light gray but its more brown/black and sand like size but not hard .
Ash consistency depends a lot upon the pellets you burn. Doug fir burns nicely and leaves little ash, gray color. I burn cheap FSUs and they burn ashy and match your description of peppery sand.

I looked up all the old post but I didn't see where is was posted how many inches of water the draft should be at P1 - P4. Maybe its that but I just didn't understand what owner/installers are saying , Any suggestions ?
Power - Fan speed - Pressure
P1 - 1750rpm - 65 or 0.26pascals
P2 - 1890 - 75 or 0.3
P3 - 2030 - 85 or 0.34
P4 - 2180 - 95 or 0.38

Those are the factory settings from a couple years ago.

Power - Fan speed - Pressure
P1 - 1750rpm - 65 or 0.26pascals
P2 - 1890 - 75 or 0.3
P3 - 2030 - 85 or 0.34
P4 - 2180 - 95 or 0.38

Those are the factory settings from a couple years ago.

so do I need to speed up or slow down the blower to get the draft to match these numbers or just check it and make sure its close ? I just want to make sure its set up correct , none of the factory default setting have been changed.

so do I need to speed up or slow down the blower to get the draft to match these numbers or just check it and make sure its close ? I just want to make sure its set up correct , none of the factory default setting have been changed.

even more confused , I just tried converting Pascals to inches of water and that almost not measurable . I have a vacuum gauge that will read 1 - 20" of water so should I find a gauge that will measures low level vacuum.

First, your installer should have checked the draft pressure. He has a guide that gives him all the info. Second, all stove installs are different for any number of reasons, depending upon altitude, and house configuration. I mean, where you put the stove makes a difference. So, the factory settings are a starting point. My own stove, I had to up the blower speed, quite a lot to get the pressure readings close to spec. In addition, I think once you do that, you can make further adjustments based upon your own experience. I've found that once you dial in your stove, it'll burn most anything equally well. I think the DF pellets are great, and would love to get more at a good price. Last year, for a short period of time, my HD had Blazers which are DF from Oregon, for $4.19 a bag! Now, I'm stuck with ashy FSUs. They burn just fine but have lots of fines and ash.

I have hooked up the Megner (spelling) I have found the draft to be about 5~7 pascals low from what I have been told it should be . How do I change from No-factory setting ? I need a pass code?

I have hooked up the Megner (spelling) I have found the draft to be about 5~7 pascals low from what I have been told it should be . How do I change from No-factory setting ? I need a pass code?
Yep, you need a pass code. When you hold down the button on the far right of your stove's control panel, they call it button 6, hold it down for 3 or 4 secs, until the messages start to scroll. Once that happens, you can use buttons 5 and 6 to scroll thru all the configurable settings like going into energy saving mode, etc. One of them is your stove's settings that requires passcode "E9". Once you put that in, you can scroll thru the 28 or so settings, and adjust the combustion fan speed for each of the Power settings.

I'll post a link to the installer's guide which has all the information I just wrote above. There you'll find a table for all the factory settings and what the adjustment range is, etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ogznqraei...023_E02_USA [MONIA_SABRINA].2012_max.pdf?dl=0

Some of the parameters I've change are:
3: I shortened the grate cleaning interval
12: I lengthened the grate cleaning time
15: I lowered the temp for when the blower starts
18 - 22: adjusted the combustion fan speeds based upon manometer readings
23 - 27: upped the blower speeds

Anyhow, the manual should give you all the info you need, now that you are armed with a manometer.

CHKEN ,Thank You ,

Exactly the help I was looking for. I made a few changes , all of the ones you did and a few more. I would how ever like to slow down the feed rate on P1 lower then the min 2.8 , Does any one know where I can get a bootloader so I can slow it down to about 2.4? on the mid temp days with it gets up to the 40's I come home from work to find the house is 76~78*f. Slowing the feed rate down on P1 should help save fuel and keep it reasonable.

Also has anyone got any advice on how to stop the black carbon build up on the front edge of the burn pot ? after about 4 bags running P1 and P2 there is a heavy coat of carbon that needs chipped off. I have the combustion fan set right at 65 pascals on P1 , would speeding it up help keep it clear?

Now that its set up I can see how having access to the bas program is a BIG plus for these units , even the wife like it! almost a set it, fill it and forget it. Running Okie Douglas Fir fuel it needs cleaned about every 5~7 bags and even at that point it 10 mins to clean.

CHKEN ,Thank You ,

Exactly the help I was looking for. I made a few changes , all of the ones you did and a few more. I would how ever like to slow down the feed rate on P1 lower then the min 2.8 , Does any one know where I can get a bootloader so I can slow it down to about 2.4? on the mid temp days with it gets up to the 40's I come home from work to find the house is 76~78*f. Slowing the feed rate down on P1 should help save fuel and keep it reasonable.

Also has anyone got any advice on how to stop the black carbon build up on the front edge of the burn pot ? after about 4 bags running P1 and P2 there is a heavy coat of carbon that needs chipped off. I have the combustion fan set right at 65 pascals on P1 , would speeding it up help keep it clear?

Now that its set up I can see how having access to the bas program is a BIG plus for these units , even the wife like it! almost a set it, fill it and forget it. Running Okie Douglas Fir fuel it needs cleaned about every 5~7 bags and even at that point it 10 mins to clean.
No idea on a boot loader to go beyond factory spec. There is an Italian Piazzetta forum that I used to check last year to see if there might be a new sys version or new settings recommendations:

http://stufapellet.forumcommunity.net/?f=2351366

Personally I wouldn't go outside of factory recommended ranges. Why don't you try Energy Saver mode so that when the stove reaches the target temp, then shuts off, if the temp doesn't fall quickly enough? The only difference is that you have more ignitions.

As for the carbon buildup, you can try a couple things: one, a different pellet, as pellets vary; and two, try to run P3 as opposed to P1 or P2. P3 and up has the grate cleaning interval while P1 and P2 do not.

As for your pressure readings, I would take that as a starting point, and you can experiment from there.

Oh, I've definitely gotten lazy. In these modest Winter temps, 25 to 40 degrees, I burn between a bag and a bag and a half a day in my Sabrina. I just fill it up at night, before bed, no scrape, no vac, and once a week, Sunday nite, I do a thorough clean. 20mins. So, about 10 bags or so, otherwise, I do nothing but fill. I've cleaned my vent once already to check whether my new routine is pushing it, and there was nothing out of the normal. In fact, when I used the leaf blower, I got almost nothing out of the stove. I thought the leaf blower had broken!

Last thought before I forget, I vaguely recall that last year Pascal Maertens or someone else mentioned that we would get new software this year, but haven't heard a peep since. One of the new features was supposed to be grate cleanings for P1 and P2, not just P3 and up. So, that could help your issues.

Also, someone else, went to a Western dealers show and there was supposedly a new grate for the Piazzetta that might help with the carbon buildup, that was coming this year. Haven't heard a thing about that either.

I would be having a chat with the stove dealer ... what did you pay for the install?

I would be having a chat with the stove dealer ... what did you pay for the install?
the dealer isn't much help they don't have any real set up experience as of early fall this year .

Since ChKen set me up with the pass word and programing base line I have cleaned up the burning pot carbon build up , and able to run a 2.8 on the load auger. Now If I had a boot loader I would like to drop the feed rate to about 2.2 ~2.4 on P1 . Running Eco mode just doesn't make sense to put the fire out and work the start up heater that much , they are only good for so many starts then give up.

Maybe you should have that chat with the dealer and educate him a bit - he might have the boot loader access that you are looking for. A trade of equipment use in exchange for a walk-through on how it should be set -up? If you don't ask the answers always no...

the dealer isn't much help they don't have any real set up experience as of early fall this year .

Since ChKen set me up with the pass word and programing base line I have cleaned up the burning pot carbon build up , and able to run a 2.8 on the load auger. Now If I had a boot loader I would like to drop the feed rate to about 2.2 ~2.4 on P1 . Running Eco mode just doesn't make sense to put the fire out and work the start up heater that much , they are only good for so many starts then give up.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...little-secrets-you-would-like-to-know.129833/

In looking up another thread, I came across Pascal talking about his boot loader. You should drop him a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.