need help please dutch west wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

biggmike101

Nov 27, 2018
have a question. i have a dutch west wood stove 2478 with the fountain going bad . can i put a damper in the stove pipe and use it that way . Anyone ever try that ? thank you

have a question. i have a dutch west wood stove 2478 with the fountain going bad . can i put a damper in the stove pipe and use it that way . Anyone ever try that ? thank you
No you cant do that

It's that fiber burn chamber inside the stove but don't understand why I can't burn it like a real stove if I put a damper on it
Because it is not designed to be run that way. It wont heat well and will burn trough wood like crazy. It will be like burning an old pre epa stove only it wont even be very good at that because it wasnt designed to work that way. That combustion system in those and the vermont castings stoves is simply a poor design. I would look for a different stove.

Because it is not designed to be run that way. It wont heat well and will burn trough wood like crazy. I

That sounds like the draft through the stove would be excessive, burning the wood too fast for the stove to extract much of the heat produced, which would go up the chimney instead. Does that sound right?

Of course Biggmikes proposal to put a damper in the flue would be aimed at reducing that excessive flow of combustion air.

As you state, though, epa stoves give little to no flexibility in doctoring up issues like this.

The Empire rules!

That sounds like the draft through the stove would be excessive, burning the wood too fast for the stove to extract much of the heat produced, which would go up the chimney instead. Does that sound right?

Of course Biggmikes proposal to put a damper in the flue would be aimed at reducing that excessive flow of combustion air.

As you state, though, epa stoves give little to no flexibility in doctoring up issues like this.

The Empire rules!
So now you are going to tell me how this stove would work with a damper even though you didnt even know what the fountain was in your last post. You complain about epa stoves not being flexible without having any experience with them at all.

Oh thats right you were a gas service man so you clearly know more about how this stove works than me. So tell us how the smoke path would work without the fountain in place.