Need help plugging a leak at flex liner-to-elbow connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FGZ

Nov 19, 2010
N.Shore MA
I'm making the final connection to install my C450, which involves connecting the 6" SS flex liner to the stove somehow. At first I had some serious clearance issues because of the damper. I took that out this weekend to make more room, so now I have a ton of room to work but getting the liner to slip inside my 90* adjustable elbow was a real chore, probably because the liner was ovaled a little from going through the damper. After fighting it in there for several (3ish?) hours, here's what I ended up with - a crease in the liner that causes a gap at the seam.

First pic is with camera flash, but you can barely see the flashlight inside shining through
th_flex_connection002.jpg

Now, turning the flash off, you can see the flashlight through the gap better
th_flex_connection001.jpg

A few options come to mind here.

-restart on a fresh section of flex pipe is possible, but I'm terrible at cutting this stuff and will still be fighting the oval shape even if I move up a few inches. Plus I'll have to add another A-connector to make up for the lost length.
-Use a piece of scrap flex pipe plus a stainless band clamp over that area and finish the seal with stove cement
-my favorite is to drill a hole through the elbow right about where that band clamp support is (middle of first pic). Then use a ~1"x3" strip of thicker gauge stainless or other high temp alloy from work on the inside plus a bolt to "sandwich" the flex liner between the strip and elbow wall. And I could add cement to this option as well just to be sure it's sealed.

Will stove cement survive very long only ~8" up the flue? Any better options for fixing a leak like this?

Thanks for the help!
I would've posted this about 2 hours ago but keep getting distracted by topic after topic of good info around here....

Squish some furnace cement in there. Let it cure and fire up that stove. Time to get burning.

lol, I love hearing that the solution can be actually EASIER than I thought than harder. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.