Need Help Stopping Wood Thief!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isipwater

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2013
Southeastn, AZ
Hi,

I need help on what steps I should take to stop thieves stealing my wood.

I am still fairly new to burning wood. Last winter was my first season.

As recommended by several Hearth members, I have been trying to get 3 years ahead since I have mostly red oak.

Part of my problem is that I live in a suburb and my house has 2 side yards as opposed to a front and back yard. As a result, my wood piles are easily noticeable by those passing by.

So, what suggestions do you have to stop this problem?

Here are some photos of my wood piles to better understand my situation:

IMAG0165.jpg IMAG0108.jpg IMAG0358.jpg

Last edited:
Not so friendly dog, fence, paint one end of splits
Yes, I do have two territorial terriers I am think of having sleep outside next to the pile. To fence this yard would unfortunately cost around $1700 but 3 full days of labor so I am not inclinded to do this yet. Tell me more about painting one of the splits?

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Cabela's, Bass pro, Wally Mart....find an "on sale" game cam or two.
They work well and aren't too expensive. When you identify the thief and turn his photo or license number into the cops...make sure the judge orders community service. (As in bucking and splitting the remaining stack by hand) Much better than any trespassing fine.;)

Cabela's, Bass pro, Wally Mart....find an "on sale" game cam or two.
They work well and aren't too expensive. When you identify the thief and turn his photo or license number into the cops...make sure the judge orders community service. (As in bucking and splitting the remaining stack by hand) Much better than any trespassing fine.;)
I could try this, I have never used one of these before. Perhaps I could stick it up in a tree so the thief does not try to steel the cam as well.

Really? How are they stealing it - backing their truck up to the piles and throwing it in, in the wee hours? Couldn't get away with that very easily where I live - has to make some noise.

Yep. Where I cut, there are a couple of summer camps not too far away with the occasional wandering youth. My buddy who owns the land has had a few minor trespass issues. He recently put up one cam on each end of the property. About $75 each. Batteries are supposed to last around six months. Most all of them on the market have IR flash for night time photos without the visible flash. At least he can go to the camps with photos and in most cases, have them handle the situation.

Really? How are they stealing it - backing their truck up to the piles and throwing it in, in the wee hours? Couldn't get away with that very easily where I live - has to make some noise.
It appears that they are stealing small amounts, most likely, by carrying off with it by hand.

Put the cameras up, and also a sign advising them to smile, as they are on camera, and will be prosecuted. Should stop that nonsense right quick.

Put the cameras up, and also a sign advising them to smile, as they are on camera, and will be prosecuted. Should stop that nonsense right quick.
I see a consensus building here. Put up some signs, get some cameras, catch them, and prosecute them.

Reactions: Pennsyltucky Chris
Bingo, end of problem.
Or put the cameras up, no sign, catch and prosecute.
Make sure you get the night cameras, as they are almost surely taking the wood under cover of the night.

Reactions: isipwater
I was thinking someone was taking my wood as well, turned out it was just the wood shrinking. One of my stacks that I marked has shrunk 3.5" since Nov. , it's 5' high, or was.:)

This would put a stop to it.;ex

Yes, I do have two territorial terriers I am think of having sleep outside next to the pile. To fence this yard would unfortunately cost around $1700 but 3 full days of labor so I am not inclinded to do this yet. Tell me more about painting one of the splits?
It make them easy to spot in someone else's yard, truck ,wood pile, Will hopefully discourage neighbor borrowing. Just a quick pass with spray of your favorite unique color. Also take a quick photo of your stack after you paint. Will "prove" theft at least enough for discussion

Perhaps a game camera if they don't steal it too! Also set a convenient stack of then nastiest smelling poorest quality for burning wood where it's easily picked up a few times of that pile they hopefully will quit

My first thought is to drill a couple holes in some pre selected splits, insert a couple m80's and let revenge be your method to stop them. Then again I'm sure there would be some sort of legal ramifications coming your way when they exploded and burned a couple local teens getting their buzz on around a camp fire. Fencing in the entire yard is expensive, but could you fence off the wood pile?

Reactions: ChadD
Yeah I had some wood that sprouted legs.

Turned out to be kids looking for fire pit wood.

Now I throw some uglies and not so good pieces over the fence. It saves me taking that crap to the dump or smoking the street out with te fire pit.

Not a solution thou. Maybe put a sign up, Firepit wood for sale, $10 a hand full.

Alright, so the two terriers are sleeping outside tonight, next the the firewood. I have a baby monitor setup next to the dogs so I will hear them bark if I get some visitors. Now I am thinking of relocating all of my firewood to my other side yard that is fenced in. Not what I want to do but I am already tired of dealing with this. If I have any updates, I will be sure to post them.

Alright, so the two terriers are sleeping outside tonight, next the the firewood. I have a baby monitor setup next to the dogs so I will hear them bark if I get some visitors. Now I am thinking of relocating all of my firewood to my other side yard that is fenced in. Not what I want to do but I am already tired of dealing with this. If I have any updates, I will be sure to post them.

I'd loan ya my Aussie he's 85# of sh*t your pants viscous bark . A bit more convincing that a terrier. If he know ya he is a baby if he doesn't the messeges is clear. Hope you can solve the issue with out moving wood again. It seem to get moved enough at my house.
You might also add motion sensing flood lights to your stack area...great for those oops forgot to bring wood in runs

Wrap it in cheap chicken wire. Hardly be able to see it and most likely be to much work for someone to walk away with some wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.