Need Help Struggling with PB105

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tamarack lane

Nov 23, 2013
NH
I just installed a Harmon PB105, I bought it used and have my house set up for the boiler, a friend who does furnace installation put it in for me. It is replacing a wood gasification boiler. I needed something that would provide the heat and be less work for me. So the first 24 hours I burn over 4 bags of pellets. It wasn't even cold.
I had them troubleshoot it and had to replace a circulator in my piping. It seemed to run better after that but It still burns a lot of pellets. It was installed on 10/27 and I have gone through a ton and 1/4 of pellets and the temps are fairly mild here in NH.
Tonight I went to feed the boiler and noticed that the ash pan was overfull and contained pellets that were only blackened and not burned ( I clean the boiler and scraped the pot last sunday 1 wk ago). It seems to keep feeding the pellets. Due to the high burn I had backed the pellet feed down to 1. Weeks ago. Tonight I have no idea what to do..
It seems to just keep feeding pellets No blinking lights. I may be a fairly self sufficient mom but I really need help. Not really anyone around here that does pellet boilers.
What do I do, I need it to stop pushing unburned pellets out.
Thanks Ann

From 10/27 to 11/23 is 27 days
1.25 Tons of pellets = 2,500 Lbs
2,500 Lbs divided by 27 days is 93 Lbs per day or 2.3 bags of 40 Lbs.

2.3 bags @ $5/bag @ 30 days per month = $345/month

Gathering from other posts on this forum on this PB105 pellet boiler, that seems about right for the daily pellet consumption.
It is probably way to much for the house you are heating, but on a positive note, it's working and you have heat.

It's probably to late now but:
- NH has a rebate program for pellet boilers. Not sure that the PB105 qualifies for this. And you also need 3 tons of bulk pellet storage.
http://www.puc.nh.gov/Sustainable Energy/RenewableEnergyRebates-WP.html
- NH Loan program:
http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/sites/default/files/Web - PSNH flyer.pdf

Last edited:
I just installed a Harmon PB105, I bought it used and have my house set up for the boiler, a friend who does furnace installation put it in for me. It is replacing a wood gasification boiler. I needed something that would provide the heat and be less work for me. So the first 24 hours I burn over 4 bags of pellets. It wasn't even cold.
I had them troubleshoot it and had to replace a circulator in my piping. It seemed to run better after that but It still burns a lot of pellets. It was installed on 10/27 and I have gone through a ton and 1/4 of pellets and the temps are fairly mild here in NH.
Tonight I went to feed the boiler and noticed that the ash pan was overfull and contained pellets that were only blackened and not burned ( I clean the boiler and scraped the pot last sunday 1 wk ago). It seems to keep feeding the pellets. Due to the high burn I had backed the pellet feed down to 1. Weeks ago. Tonight I have no idea what to do..
It seems to just keep feeding pellets No blinking lights. I may be a fairly self sufficient mom but I really need help. Not really anyone around here that does pellet boilers.
What do I do, I need it to stop pushing unburned pellets out.
Thanks Ann

I went back and checked again this am. NO better. Emptied all remaining pellets and scrapped burnpot again. Tried to restart it and now it wont ignite. Grrrr

From 10/27 to 11/23 is 27 days
1.25 Tons of pellets = 2,500 Lbs
2,500 Lbs divided by 27 days is 93 Lbs per day or 2.3 bags of 40 Lbs.

2.3 bags @ $5/bag @ 30 days per month = $345/month

Gathering from other posts on this forum on this PB105 pellet boiler, that seems about right for the daily pellet consumption.
It is probably way to much for the house you are heating, but on a positive note, it's working and you have heat.

It's probably to late now but:
- NH has a rebate program for pellet boilers. Not sure that the PB105 qualifies for this. And you also need 3 tons of bulk pellet storage.
http://www.puc.nh.gov/Sustainable Energy/RenewableEnergyRebates-WP.html
- NH Loan program:
http://www.ci.keene.nh.us/sites/default/files/Web - PSNH flyer.pdf

I don't have the same boiler and live in NW Ohio so not apples to apples. I started basically a couple days before you and have burned 3/4 ton so your numbers seem a little high. Are you using it to heat domestic hot water and using a lot?

I use it for heat and hot water, not using much hot water at all only 2 of us in house and house is newer energy efficient well insulated. Not sure wat the issue is, I think my burnpot is messed up I am going to take a couple of pictures and try to post them. Not sure what I can do.

First, If you can, run boiler in "manual" this should stop the un-burned pellets. this will require a proper "dump zone" for excess heat. Second ...do a very thorough cleaning. Take off the bottom cover (front bottom by exhaust blower) you will need a vacuum and boiler brushes(plural) Since it is an older unit(used) I would expect you have the finned igniter. This will need to be cleaned if you cant run in manual. If you must use it in automatic, more then likely you will have to adjust the dip switches. do a search... Member ("will" something.... member who can be found by searching burn pot) will have some insight into dip switch adjustments. If you have the finned igniter you may want to up-date to the latest and greatest "pressure igniter)...Don't give up...nice boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.