Need help to troubleshoot Lopi Yankee pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvMyStove

Dec 16, 2008
northwest CT
My brother-in-law has been without power for four days because of last week's ice storm. When a tree fell and ripped out the power lines from his house, flames shot out from some of the wall sockets. Today he was able to get a generator providing power to his circuitry but his pellet stove shows no signs of life (yes, he had it plugged into the wall when the tree fell, and, yes, he didn't have it plugged into a surge protector; but the stove was shut off at the time). Obviously there's a good chance the stove's board(s) were fried. The best case scenario in my limited experience is that maybe a fuse was blown. However, I don't even know where to begin looking for fuses on it, or to troubleshoot the boards or anything else. Can anyone guide me to some sort of troubleshooting guide for a Lopi Yankee pellet stove? Or tell me where I can start looking inside the stove? The manual that came with the stove is no help, and I'm not sure there is a dealer close enough to him (Claverack, NY) to make a house call. I'm not a great mechanic but we have an Austroflamm and, over the past 12 years, I have replaced a lot of components on it (fans, boards, switches). So I'm not a total rookie, but want to be careful because this is someone else's stove. On the other hand, these people are getting real cold and we have more storms coming so I want to help them sooner than later. Thanks.

Hey LuvMyStove, maybe i can help a little. I have an Astoria, which is the same stove as the Yankee, only with the Avalon name.

Yes, the first things would be the fuses....there are 2. On the back of the stove, there should be a little round black knob next to where the power cord goes into the stove.....that's the main fuse. Push in and turn to remove. The other fuse is on the control board. Open up the right side of the stove (small phillips head screw in upper left hand corner of panel), and you'll see the back of the control board.... pull the paper cover off the bottom...you should see the other fuse there.

Start there and see if either one is blown. If you need a manual, i can email you a copy of my Astoria one...everything is the same.

macman said:
Hey LuvMyStove, maybe i can help a little. I have an Astoria, which is the same stove as the Yankee, only with the Avalon name.

Yes, the first things would be the fuses....there are 2. On the back of the stove, there should be a little round black knob next to where the power cord goes into the stove.....that's the main fuse. Push in and turn to remove. The other fuse is on the control board. Open up the right side of the stove (small phillips head screw in upper left hand corner of panel), and you'll see the back of the control board.... pull the paper cover off the bottom...you should see the other fuse there.

Start there and see if either one is blown. If you need a manual, i can email you a copy of my Astoria one...everything is the same.

Mac your such a nice boy!!!!

LuvMyStove said:
Thank you very much. Are the fuses proprietary or could I match them at an auto parts store? Thanks again.

I'm not sure, but they look like the old automotive type. You might be able to get them at Radio Shack too.

Here's the numbers on mine:

the inline fuse at the back of the stove - AGC-5A (Buss #, I think)

the control board fuse - 5MF - 6A (Bel PS Ejet #?)

Status
Not open for further replies.