Need help Tree is raining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hoot

Burning Hunk
Jan 6, 2012
Ben Wheeler, TX
Not sure what type of tree this is but it's been a weird one. First off, it loses it's leaves very early. Today I was watering the flower garden under it and I was getting rained on. Went and got the wife to confirm I was not crazy . I even saw the droplets coming down when the sun was just right. The sky was blue and it had not rained in the last two days.

Here are a few pictures ...

Attachments

• 20140921_174758.jpg
    20140921_174758.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 20140921_174909.jpg
    20140921_174909.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 20140921_174915.jpg
    20140921_174915.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 192
Cottonwood if that is the leaf in pic one

It is sap - at least I would guess it is sap. Just not the resinous sap you think of in pine or some such thing. The sap in maple trees flows like water.

Tree pee.

Reactions: CageMaster
park you car under it and see what it feels like after the 99% water burns off in the sun. J/K don't do that unless you have a teenager that will wash your cars for you

I was gonna say Eastern Cottonwood. It could be Big toothed aspen. But I'm kinda going with the first one. The dripping sap is from the leaf drop which might be caused by powdery mildew or some other leaf fungus that causes premature defoliation. Sometimes its simply a drop in the water table causing early leaf drop.

Thing is, every year it starts dropping leaves in August. It sits just above a small stream but it still can get dry. It was strange cause you could see the water raining down glistening in the sun.
Reading the wiki on the eastern looks to be it. The leaf shape is eastern.

Last edited:
Looks like the cottonwood we have. The tree is a monster and grows very fast. The small twigs falling off it year round are a real PITA! If it were desirable firewood it would be down by now!

it looks like an aspen to me, the whitish grey upper branches is why i say that.
And i'd guess the rain was condensation dripping off the tree. Was it early morning when you experienced the rain?

It was later in the afternoon. No recent rains. Sun was on the "other" side.

So I just went out to take more pictures. Didn't I get rained on while taking them? I think it's sap created by the pre-mature defoliation.

Here's more pictures. BTW this is the only one of it's kind I have seen around here.
0001.jpg
0002.jpg
0003.jpg
0004.jpg
0005.jpg
0006.jpg
0007.jpg
0008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.