Need help w/ raised hearth height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitetaildeer13

Dec 4, 2007
midwest
Here is my question. I am building a new house and have purchased an exclaim 42 made by heat n glo. I asked the builder to raise the hearth 15 inches from the floor. My mason is getting ready to stone the front of the fireplace. My ceilings in the room are 16 ft. high. The hearth is 19 inches from the floor and another 2 inches will be added when the mason puts on the stone for the top of the hearth. That makes the height 21 inches. It just looks too high. What is the normal height for a hearth in my situation. I have never seen a firebox & hearth quite that high. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a hearth this high off the ground before. Should we try to lower it? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Normal hearth heights are about 8-10". Maybe post a photo so we can see the application and design?

Welcome aboard!

We have a little different situation but when doing the install this past summer I went with my wife's suggestion and we raised it 16". All has worked out very well with it. The only problem that I could see with it is that heat goes up, not down. However, it has not been a problem at all.

What is your ceiling height? There are also vertical clearances over the stove you need to be weary of.

-Edit: Read before you post ..... 16' ceilings are a non issue....

Backpack09 said:
What is your ceiling height? There are also vertical clearances over the stove you need to be weary of.

Bill already said 16'... so he is well within tolerences.

Mine is at 15", heres a pic for reference

Attachments

• IMG_0291_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0291_1_1.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 632
I agree that it would help to see a picture. One advantage will be that it's easier to load wood into. And in the summer you could hang one of those new Sharp thin TV's on it and run pictures of a fire burning.

nshif, looking good!

Bill,

While the options are still open, how about something a little more efficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.