Need Help! Whitfield Profile 30 keeps shutting down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Whitfield Advantage II-T in the garage, had simular problems, Did you check the door rope seal? Before replacing mine, I tightened the two Hinge bolts one turn and reinstalled the door. The pressure switch, at least mine has an allen screw in the side which is adjustable, I basically adjusted mine so would run at all temp/speeds, and so it would shut down when the door was opened. There is a procedure for setting the pressure switch, I'll have to look for it and get back with you...Good Luck

I think we need to get our hands on the actual lennox service manual for the Profile 30. My wife works for a fuel oil company that sometimes installs lennox products. She has asked the fuel oil service department if they can get hold of it somehow through industry contacts. I am doubtful, but worth a shot.

HopeItBurns said:
I have a Whitfield Advantage II-T in the garage, had simular problems, Did you check the door rope seal? Before replacing mine, I tightened the two Hinge bolts one turn and reinstalled the door. The pressure switch, at least mine has an allen screw in the side which is adjustable, I basically adjusted mine so would run at all temp/speeds, and so it would shut down when the door was opened. There is a procedure for setting the pressure switch, I'll have to look for it and get back with you...Good Luck

I just replaced the door rope seal. The stove was acting up before that though. I did not know you could adjust the pressure switch. Let me know when you locate that. I appreciate it.

More info on door gasket: 1. DOOR GASKET – Close the door on a 1” strip of paper, there should be slight friction when pulled. Repeat this procedure around various sections of the firebox door. Repair or replace any poor seal areas as necessary

Found this on my stove: look at page 1 and 21- http://www.hearthtools.com/parts/whitfield_wire_diagrams.pdf My De-structions in the advantage book also indicate the reason for the pressure switch: The positive Pressure Switch is located on the exhaust housing and is designed to shut down the auger motor in the event of flue blockage. Monitors exhaust movement out of the stove to determine if restriction to air flow exists. Some other possible cause are:

1) The venting system is obstructed
2) High altitude or other misc. enviromental conditions affecting exhaust flow
3) Improper venting system

Hope this helps

I was wondering....did any of you guys put high temp silicone around the vent pipe where it connects to the stove? The tech woman at Lennox told me to do this, but I have run the stove for 3 years without doing it and never had an exhaust issue. I would think it would be a huge headache anytime you needed to disconnect the vent pipe for any reason....like working on the stove as I am now.

Well I am completely and utterly baffled by this stove. I took it all apart again today. Put a volt meter on the pressure switch to test for continuity. Blew into the exhaust hose, heard the switch work, so I know its working. Made sure the exhaust port was clear. This stove for whatever reason just wants to keep shutting down when I run it on high. I dont get it....I got nothin......

Have you replaced the door gasket recently? I replaced my gasket ,Profile 30 insert.When I started the stove it ran for about 30 min and went into default mode. I realized that because of the thickness of the new gasket ,the door switch was not being engaged. I think you can adjust the switch but for now,I put a piece of leather between the door and switch to make up the gap and it works fine

I did replace the door only gasket. Not the glass. It was thick and hard to shut the door at first but it closes fine now. As I stated earlier, I have bypassed every switch with no luck. The stove runs on low setting fine, but if I turn it to medium or high the stove goes out and into default mode. Lennox has no clue on how to help me and gave up and no dealer around me will service it. I'm pretty much screwed. So for now, I am running it on low to at least get some heat out of it until it gets warmer and I can rip it apart and work on it when i dont need it. I have gotten nowhere with this stove. I am beyond frustrated. If I had the money I would toss it and get a new one. But I dont.

Mine in new this past August and just started exhibitng the same behavior - would run fine on low, but when I turned up to medium the fire would soon die and the power light would rapidly blink. I opened up the left side and cleared the dust bunnies clogging the exhaust fan air intake slots, and the problem went away. The service tech I spoke to said this issue is usually and indication of a blockage somewhere - he wanted me to disconnect the orange vacuum tube the next time the problem happens to se if the fire build back up, but clearing the dust bunnies has worked so far - I am sure you have already done this - may the exhaust vent fan is shot

Well...after all this I finally got a local dealer to come out and look at it. Its summer time now so they are slower and agreed to help me. Needed a new Auger motor. Motor was weak and thats why it could only handle the low speed. Glad its fixed, but pissed that it took so long and so much money. If the local dealers had come out in the first place it would have cost me alot less money than trying to fix it over the phone with techs that can't see what they are trying to work on. Definitely a issue this industry needs to clear up.

Status
Not open for further replies.