Need Help: Windhager BioWin Vacuum Feed Not Turning Off When Pellets Run Out In Storage Box

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
Since it's almost summer, I thought I'd see what would happen if the pellet storage box ran out of pellets. What is happening now is that the vacuum keeps cycling. Does anyone else out there have experience with this? If this is going to continue until the next time the boiler fires, it could be a long time. Thanks.

Edit: It seems to have given up after about 20 tries.

Last edited:
When the bulk pellet hopper runs empty, the BioWIN suction turbine will try between 20 to 30 times to get pellets into the day hopper.
I believe it is 30 times but will need to confirm this.
After 30 counts it stops and displays message IN582 or FE238 (see page 58 of operational manual)

Marc's info is correct. As long as it is in operation it will keep trying to fill the hopper onboard the boiler, regardless of whether there is a call for heat or not.
The control contains a priority to keep the fuel hopper filled no matter what else is going on with the system.

Thanks very much guys.
No error message thrown-on Standby. There were some pellets in the box that got transferred, just not enough. I assume there'll be an error message when the integral hopper runs out. I will update this post when that happens.
I want to make sure that my control scheme will turn on the oil boiler when pellets are out, and this will be a real test.

Well, sometime during the 4 days we were gone the unit threw the FE238 code, "Feed is not sucking any pellets". The buffer tank was hot when we got back, and the oil flue was still a little warm. I'll try to witness a run and then shut 'em down for the summer in favor of the heat pump/electric water heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.