Need help with a leaky cleanout tee (with PICS)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2007
CT
I have been trying to seal up this leaky clean out tee without much luck.

I tried to use the Nashua 322 tape from Home Depot, that I saw someone else suggest on another thread.....
but for the life of me I can't seem to get a complete seal no matter how much tape I put on it. There always seem to be some bend or crease in the tape as I go around the pipe that allows the smoke to escape...

I attached a few pics of the tee so people see what I am looking at.

I really wish this pipe and cap had some sort of gasket, instead of just "metal on metal."

The only other thing I figured I'd try was to put a bead of silicone around the cap after it is in place, then foil tape it.
But that would just make it a pain to get it off for cleaning purposes.....having to cut out and remove the silicone.

Any suggestions to get a good seal?
Is there some sort of taping technique I should know about??

thanks.
mm

Photos:

4093553939_cde50d1d91.jpg

4093552431_54b9f6af90.jpg

4094316674_b0087165eb.jpg

i had the very same problem.......i taped the very bottom over lapping each piece of tape, then went the opposite way of the first layer overlapping again, then put one piece of tape around the base making sure to cover the seam......stopped the leak for me, hope it does you.

Time to put a new clean out T on. I had a clean out T that was damaged and no amount of tape or silicone was able to fix the leak. They get damaged at the union of the horizontal and verticle pipes.

bobva said:
look like your end cap is what leaking...........I would try two layers of tin foil and a stainless hose clamp

so are you saying I should wrap the cap with tin foil, then
put it in place??
Then for good measure put foil tape around the end?

Well, I sealed the clean out tee with the black silicone Sunday night and then let it setup overnight.
Got home Monday night, fired up the stove, still saw smoke coming out the clean out tee, so I put on some more silicone and then shut the stove down.

Came home tonight and fired it up again....

Upon careful inspection in the dark with a flashlight, I saw one tiny little wisp of smoke.
So, I took out the silicone and put a little bit more on the tee.

This time I let the stove run. I had it on high heat and medium fan.
After about fifteen minutes, started smelling a burning chemical-like smell (not wood). Thought maybe it was because it was the first real burn of the year....But I walked over to the stove, shined my flashlight towards the clean out tee and saw smoke around it.

Not sure if I should have shut the stove down and let the silicone set-up, because it seemed the silicone was burning.

Now, was it because I didn't let the additional silicone set up over night or is it the type of silicone I am using?

I am using the Rutland 500 degree High Heat black silicone sealant from Home Depot.

As suggested already, I am gonna call my stove maintenance guy (he installed the stove for the previous homeowner) and see what I should do.
Maybe it is time to replace the venting system with something better. I started another thread to get folks' opinions on the best type of venting to go with....

thanks for the help.
mm

Here are pics of my current setup:

4128998509_ae91c78953_b.jpg

4129000227_a0c906425f_b.jpg

4129768510_0d3423e7ca_b.jpg

4128999463_1c7274e88c_b.jpg

Unfortunately, I kinda buried my question in my last reply.....not sure if folks saw it....

Did the silicone start to burn because it is the wrong type of silicone or becuase I did not let it set up overnight??

Thanks.
mm

no expert here but if I were you I'd replace the Tee and when at it I'd just replace the appliance adapter and re-silicone again to make sure.

BTW - yours is a basement install, wonder why you have another vertical rise outside?
I also see you went though the foundation, I did mine though the sill.

geek said:
no expert here but if I were you I'd replace the Tee and when at it I'd just replace the appliance adapter and re-silicone again to make sure.

BTW - yours is a basement install, wonder why you have another vertical rise outside?

Geek --

I am gonna call my pellet stove maintenace guy today. He installed the stove (for the previous homewoners).
Gonna inquire about replacing the tee, etc.

Not sure about going through the foundtion or sill or the vertical rise.....It was there when I bought the house.
oh well....

thanks.
mm

geek said:

That's a vent for radon I would think...

Fish On said:
geek said:

That's a vent for radon I would think...

The pipe and fan assembly in the background is my radon mitigation system.....uses PVC pipe.

The pipe in the forefront is my pellet chimney pipe. NOT PVC pipe (as used by another poster in another thread....).

Status
Not open for further replies.