Need help with a piping diagram

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris S

Hearth Supporter
Jan 22, 2008
Orange County NY
My first scanned download, I hope this works.
I have the Eko installed in a shop approximately 60' from the house.
I am using nofossils basic premises for all of the heating scenarios, but I come up short because
I also want to be able to draw heat in the shop, from the oil boiler.
I may be using the wrong piping schematic Any thoughts

Thanks, Chris

Attachments

• boiler diagram 001.jpg
    boiler diagram 001.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 391
What you're suggesting works on paper, and will require less controls than my other plan, which was to use a Tekmar solr control, treating the EKO as the solar side. The load circ in the shed (currently wilo star16) may need to be upsized to pull all that distance.
I have to set this up such that either boiler can automatically heat both buildings because every day tending of the fire may not happen
Thanks for your input
Chris

I completed the install along the lines you suggested, and got it working pretty well.
The storage tanks charge nicely, and I can get really nice full burns out of the eko.

The latest problem I noticed is that the system pump pulls water through the oil boiler when the oil boiler and it's circulator are not running. More flow than a flow check will stop.
I believe this is because of the piping configuration and distance to the tanks simply making it easier for it to flow that way than through all of the tank piping.

Does anybody know of a 3 way valve I could tie into an aquastat to control this flow, or am I overthinking this.

How about just a zone valve or ebv somewhere on the oil burner piping, it wouldn't matter where. Open it when the oil burner pump comes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.