Need help with a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfighter

Nov 11, 2015
Louisiana
IMG_0504.JPG
Hi all, hope I found the right place to get some info on a wood stove. I'm a southerner and not much call for heating.

Anyway, what I have is a stove that was made in Taiwan, by a company by the name of Chuan Sheng Metal company. The model #is PS-340S Parlor Stove.

I google with no help.

Taiwan copy of an old parlor stove. I think Vogelzang was importing them at one time over a decade ago.

Taiwan copy of an old parlor stove. I think Vogelzang was importing them at one time over a decade ago.
I found that there was a company by the name of RJ metal inc that made them in Taiwan back in the 1970's. I don't think mine is that old. I searched Vogelzang's web site with no help there. Still looking. Thanks

IMG_0512.JPG
Fired it off today. Was very impressed with the amount of heat it put out and the amount of burn time for just a few logs in it. I threw on a piece of stove piping for this. Once it got firing good, there was little to no smoke out the stack, None from around the fire box. I think it's going to work out just nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks better already. The most important thing will be to install it safely and according to code. That means adequate hearth protection and clearances honored. An untested stove needs to be 36" in all directions from the nearest combustibles. This can be reduced with proper NFPA 211 defined wall shielding.

We bought a cottage that had one of these stoves in 2000. It made lots of heat but we chickened out and replaced it due to crack in the cast iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.