Need Help With Cleaning My Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LuvMyTimberline

Feb 1, 2011
Rocky Mountains
Hi, all -

I'm new here, so I hope I am going about this correctly. I have a vintage Timberline insert (traditional matte black -- all original) that was in mint condition until yesterday when someone lit a fire and forgot to remove the decorative candles from the top first. Needless to say, there was a huge waxy mess on my stove. I removed the solid wax but am having a difficult time getting the greasy stain out. Since the stove insert was mint, I really would prefer not to have to strip and repaint it. I have tried alcohol, as well as heating the stove and blotting the stain with a vinegar/water solution as someone advised me to do. None of this has worked and I am starting to see a bit of gray color on my cloth, which makes me think that the paint is starting to come off. Does anyone here know of a product or method to handle this issue? I really appreciate your input!

Try firing it up & getting hot fire going. May smoke a little but might just burn itself clean.
Wax should clean off better when it's hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.