1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Need Help With Cleaning My Insert

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by LuvMyTimberline, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuvMyTimberline

LuvMyTimberline New Member

Loc:
    Rocky Mountains
    Hi, all -

I'm new here, so I hope I am going about this correctly. I have a vintage Timberline insert (traditional matte black -- all original) that was in mint condition until yesterday when someone lit a fire and forgot to remove the decorative candles from the top first. Needless to say, there was a huge waxy mess on my stove. I removed the solid wax but am having a difficult time getting the greasy stain out. Since the stove insert was mint, I really would prefer not to have to strip and repaint it. I have tried alcohol, as well as heating the stove and blotting the stain with a vinegar/water solution as someone advised me to do. None of this has worked and I am starting to see a bit of gray color on my cloth, which makes me think that the paint is starting to come off. Does anyone here know of a product or method to handle this issue? I really appreciate your input!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Try firing it up & getting hot fire going. May smoke a little but might just burn itself clean.
    Wax should clean off better when it's hot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.