1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Need help with clearances.

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by saggys, May 18, 2012.

1. saggys

saggys New Member

Loc:
    WI, USA
    I have 8 inch clearance between my interior wall and my stove could I use a non-combustible material such as cement board with a reduced clearance kit? I really do not want to use offsets. Stove is in signature.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Too close.......

I think we had a clearance tag somewhere here for a Jotul #1.
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/jotul-combifire-1.83563/#post-83563

If I read that right and your pipe comes straight out the top, that would be 30".
    A good wall shield spaced out 1" would bring it to 12" or so.....arguable, because we are mixing NFPA with UL codes.....

You also have to consider the pipe clearances! If they are OK (pipe heat shields, etc.) then it's possible you could get to 10" from the original combustible wall with sheet metal or cement board spaced out 1".

No one can put a seal of approval on this because there are simply too many codes being mixed...that is, the stove, NFPA and the material being used. It certainly will make the installation vastly safer that it is now! If I had a situation where I needed to really reach, I'd probably do a double shield - that is, mount one sheet against the wall and another out on the spacers. etc.
  3. saggys

saggys New Member

Loc:
    WI, USA
    Thanks for the suggestion and info. We solved the problem the expensive way yesterday. We purchased a Jotul F400 Castine and with the rear heatshield it is good to 7" clearance. I am sure my insurance agent will (should) be happy that we have a U.L. label and listing on our stove. This has been an enlightening journey, we now have a Jotul #1 combifire to sell.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Good call. Not only that but the F400 will get you out of the classic stove forum.;)