Need help with clearances.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saggys

Feb 18, 2012
WI, USA
I have 8 inch clearance between my interior wall and my stove could I use a non-combustible material such as cement board with a reduced clearance kit? I really do not want to use offsets. Stove is in signature.

Too close.......

I think we had a clearance tag somewhere here for a Jotul #1.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/jotul-combifire-1.83563/#post-83563

If I read that right and your pipe comes straight out the top, that would be 30".
A good wall shield spaced out 1" would bring it to 12" or so.....arguable, because we are mixing NFPA with UL codes.....

You also have to consider the pipe clearances! If they are OK (pipe heat shields, etc.) then it's possible you could get to 10" from the original combustible wall with sheet metal or cement board spaced out 1".

No one can put a seal of approval on this because there are simply too many codes being mixed...that is, the stove, NFPA and the material being used. It certainly will make the installation vastly safer that it is now! If I had a situation where I needed to really reach, I'd probably do a double shield - that is, mount one sheet against the wall and another out on the spacers. etc.

Thanks for the suggestion and info. We solved the problem the expensive way yesterday. We purchased a Jotul F400 Castine and with the rear heatshield it is good to 7" clearance. I am sure my insurance agent will (should) be happy that we have a U.L. label and listing on our stove. This has been an enlightening journey, we now have a Jotul #1 combifire to sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.