Need Help With Direct Vent Triple Pipe Flashing and Metal Roof

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boatboy63

Feb 6, 2010
Northeastern TN
I am installing a Dura-Plus triple wall direct vent pipe. I am going thru the ceiling and am wondering about how to seal the flashing with my painted metal roof. This is the roofing that is about 36" wide and has 1" ridges in it about every 10". I know the flashing would not be a problem with a shingle roof, but the ridges of my metal roof have me scratching my head. I know I am supposed to cut my roofing and the flashing goes under roofing on the top and is supposed to lay on top of roofing on the bottom. Considering the flashing is flat and my roofing is ridged, is there an easy way to do this? Someone locally suggested I got a roll of "Peel and Stick" which is a sticky membrane on 1 side and aluminum on the other side. I was told to use that to seal all the way around it, but was just wondering if there is an easier or better way. Also, am I supposed to put a sideways split in my roofing near the bottom to allow the flashing to come from underneath and overlap roofing on the bottom? This is the flashing that is about a 30" x 30" square and has the large formed area with a storm collar that mounts over it.

No cutting involved ! They make a high temp silicone pipe boot for this. You silicone the bottom of the boot, slide it over the pipe, form the flexable bottom around any ribs, and install screws ever 2" or so.
Most places dont stock these, so you will have to go to a plumbing supply store or special order from big box store or stove shop. Hope this helps. J.T.

Well there is cutting involved. You have to cut the hole for the pipe. I drill a hole in the roof then cut with a jigsaw.

You can also get a DSA (dead soft aluminum) flashing which will form over the ridges. Screw every 2 inces or so with metal roofing screws and seal with lots of flashing cement.

I have an Amish metal roofing and truss building company just down the road and they actually had the right flashing in stock for my install over the same style metal roofing. Good luck!

Finally got finished. Ended up using the flashing supplied with the kit. I did not put it under the roofing on the top half as they said. Ended up marking area where flashing would go and then used hammer to flatten ridges. Did end up cutting some of the ridges. I then put caulking around inner perimeter of flashing and then used something called "Peel and Stick" to put over all the edges. This stuff was in a roll 6" wide and 33' long. It is like a thick tar adhesive on 1 side and had an aluminum finish on the other side. We heated it up on the wood stove and then put it on the flashing. I don't think I will have a problem with it sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.