Need help with double-sided fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pacmanpants

Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
I'm new here and looking for anyone who can help! Got a hideous 1970s lava rock fireplace. It's see-through, and the previous owners put a glass door on one side and sealed it shut. Fires work fine, there's no excess smoke or other issues, but of course I get NO heat.

Due to cost and other factors I'd like to just put a small freestanding wood stove inside that faces the living area, and either remove the glass door or replace it with a metal screen. My issue is that I don't know what brand of stove will fit in such a low space, or if what I want to do is even possible. I liked the looks of Drolet but when I emailed them to ask about their sizes they brushed me off. I called two local stove suppliers and they both told me they won't come out to look at my setup unless I buy a stove or insert first.

I can't get any professional opinions, can any of you fine folks/amateurs help?

All the pro's will be along shortly, but they will ask for pictures, so you might want to try to get ahead of the game.
I'ts a very busy time of the year for the sweeps and stove shops, so you will have to be patient.
Get measurements of the fireplace and start checking out manufacturers websites, they give the dimensions of their products.
You also may want to look at inserts, as the are designed to go in fireplaces, and probably fit better in a small opening.
You will also need to list the size of your house, the age, construction( ranch or multilevel, etc) and the level of insulation along with the current condition of your chimney.

The fireplace opening is 41" wide, 25" high, and 32" deep. The house is a late 70s, 1800 sq ft ranch with a finished basement. Wood construction and rather poorly insulated. Wood beam ceilings with no attic access and there is no ductwork in the house at all (electric heat throughout). The chimney is in fine shape as far as I can tell. The basement also has a see-through fireplace with its own chimney. We don't use it.
aTiN5

I have done extensive research and inserts are well out of my price range, so that's the primary reason I'd prefer a stove. I also prefer the look.

IMG_20171026_111815.jpg

IMG_20171026_101454.jpg

aTiN5
aTiN5

Last edited:
Picture did not come through. It's best to use the "Upload File" option to post pictures.

A stove may be the tougher option due to height restrictions. There are several <$1500 inserts that may be less expensive than a stove and a better fit. However, if this is a gas fireplace then using if for wood may be out of the question for either a stove or insert.

Hmm. Is it possible to order a stove without legs so that the height would be less of an issue? This is a wood fireplace. There is no gas line to the property.

Hmm. Is it possible to order a stove without legs so that the height would be less of an issue? This is a wood fireplace. There is no gas line to the property.
Ah, when you said lava rock I was thinking in the firebed. There are some stoves that are sold without legs for fireplace install. The Avalon Rainier and most Buck stoves are examples. Another option is to install an insert without installing a shroud (surround panel).