need help with drolet into old fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah I planned on making my own surround just because what theirs costs is a bit ridiculous for what it is. the liner fastener thing does look like a good idea, but it makes me wonder about how it affects flow and possibly lets things build up so I'm going to use it as a last resort. The plan now is to use my 1/4" drive adapter with a long extension and a magnetic hex driver for the self-tappers while holding the liner from inside. seems like it will work but probably require some swear words. With an elbow I could probably gain 2" toward the room.

how do the elbows work. is it just like a bent appliance connector or is it straight appliance connector to elbow. elbow to liner.
I wouldn't worry about the flow, my draft is so good that I would like to slow it down, although I doubt that the fastener will slow it down even slightly. I also suspect that there would be no additional buildup of any kind, it would be right at a really hot spot. It is ridiculously expensive for what it is, and I thought I would build my own because of the price, but in the end I just didn't get it done.

I used the self tapping screws with the 1/4" drive adapter just like you described, but it was not easy for two reasons. First, the combination of low clearance between the lintel and a lip that sticks up about 1/2" on the top front of stove shroud, leaving just enough room to get in where I needed to drive the screws. When driving the screws, the lip digs into my forearms, which were completely bruised up when i was done (I don't know if the Drolet has this lip, doesn't look like in the Drolet manual). At first I thought it was a design flaw (and wanted to grind it off), but it probably provides some structural rigidity, and I suspect that it was left there to encourage purchase of the high profit margin fastener "accessory."

The second thing that made it tough was that the self tapping screws have to be perfectly lined up to the holes in the brackets for the tip to bite into the appliance, and a decent amount of pressure must also be applied. In the tight space and angles, this was almost impossible, and the appliance bent before the screw tip bit. Then I had to reach up through the top of the stove into the appliance to apply opposite force. At this point, the $95 price of the liner fastener seemed like a bargain. On more than one occasion during this process I almost gave up and called in the pros.

Good luck with the install, we love the stove. I do wish I had known what I know now. I'd have done a better job in probably about a third of the time, with way less stress, and wouldn't be planning to reinstall at some point in the future to fix the things that aren't quite right.

Thanks for the insight. I'm ordering a 30° elbow today. If they ship it as fast as the liner I should have it Friday. It's always easier/quicker doing things the second time. I do have the lip you're talking about.

Thanks for the insight. I'm ordering a 30° elbow today. If they ship it as fast as the liner I should have it Friday. It's always easier/quicker doing things the second time. I do have the lip you're talking about.
Great, and good luck! I had to slide my stove in and out at least 5 times, with an equal number of trips to the chimney top because I didn't have the elbow, and I was still not completely satisfied with the angle that the appliance connector went into the stove top. With some luck, the 30 degree elbow elimates this for you. Let us know how it works out for you.

When you get a chance, please post some nice pics, maybe in a new thread on the custom surround. They have been recommended from time to time but we don't have a lot of good shots of these installations.

I can model how mine was built and get some pics of the finished result. I don't really want to take it back out. Id have to drill out my rivets and repaint the lower plate I installed. it gets scratched up by the sheet metal edges easily. I have like the whole fireplace modeled at this point anyway so I might as well put the surround into it too. I should be able to do a decent step by step with models though.

Status
Not open for further replies.