Need help with fireplace insert decision.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dahela21

Apr 3, 2008
Western MA
I'll try to make it brief; my house is 30 year old 2500SF Gambrel Dutch Colonial with attached one story family room (19x21), where the fireplace is located.I would like to put a simple looking insert- some which I really like. The ones like Rais 60 and Scan DSA 4 do not have blower options. This room does not have a cathedral cieling, but instead, has two small doors opening to different rooms, one to the kitchen area, and one to the entry way. I would like to decrease my heating bills as well. Given the floor plan of my home, should I consider looking into other brands with the blower option, or ones without?
Any advice would be appreciated!

I would not buy an insert without a blower.

I had a Lopi Answer insert in my last house (1100 SF ranch). Without the blower it would barely warm the room it was in, but with the blower I could heat the entire house on the coldest days.

Heating your entire house with an insert in the family room is probably not realistic, but cutting your heating bill is, especially if you have some sort of zone heating in your current heating system.

I agree with Guardguy, you definitely need a blower on an insert. My insert will heat the room, and adjacent room, just fine without the blower on, however it's probably more a function of the stove and fireplace heating up and radiating heat than anything else, plus it's in an open floorplan. With the blower on I heat the entire zone, easily. It creates a more even heat, generates circulation, etc. As for what model to get, there are a lot of simple lookoing ones out there, Lopi/Avalon, Quadrafire, etc, are all pretty basic looking units. The Rais and Scan models tend towards the eurochic look.
Also, whatever you do, be certain to have a full length liner installed in the chimney, with a full block off plate on the bottom, and top, of the chimney. It will increase and regulate your insert's performance, and you'll heat better with less wood.

-- MW

Thank you very much for your input,
I'm going to take a closer look at the Lopi insert. The Declaration model looks quite simple.
Should I be aware about any cons?? Thanks again!!

take a look at the osburn 2400 if you have the room in your fireplace. its got a nice big firebox. i installed this one in my 2100 square foot ranch and it works great, on the days below 35 it has a little trouble with the back bedroom (can keep it to 62 so i use a little oil to keep that zone at 65). has a nice blower that i usually run on low only drawback is no ashpan. got it from homeclick free shipping and a 10% off coupon when i bought, $1350 and change delivered>
hope i helped and didnt confuse

Check out the RSF Onyx. I've been heating a 2,000s.f. house well with it, like the looks. Not sure how cost compares to the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.