Need help with heated water inside the home...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VAfarmer38

Aug 31, 2015
Central VA
Ok I have searched high and low but can't seem to find a viable solution to this. I recently fired my furnace up for the upcoming cooler days and nights and need some help. We only choose to heat our water during this time (fall/winter/early spring) and use our water heater during the warmer months. My wife is convinced that our water quality changes as soon as I start heating our water with the furnace. She states that it makes her hair different. I can't tell any difference personally but I'm a guy and I don't pay attention to that stuff. Thanks for any help. Heatmaster MF5000

Last edited:
Ok I have searched high and low but can't seem to find a viable solution to this. I recently fired my furnace up for the upcoming cooler days and nights and need some help. We only choose to heat our water during this time (fall/winter/early spring) and use our water heater during the warmer months. My wife is convinced that our water quality changes as soon as I start heating our water with the furnace. She states that it makes her hair different. I can't tell any difference personally but I'm a guy and I don't pay attention to that stuff. Thanks for any help. Heatmaster MF5000

Not having any idea how the system functions I have no idea what is up, but one guess might be is that the pipes that are different are also contaminated, assuming the water runs through different pipes for the system.

So we would need to know more. Like does the hot domestic water get heated in a separate water tank with a boiler loop inside or a plate heat exchanger? The plate type eliminates a settling tank that is present with the summer system.

It is possible that the boiler system is able to heat your water to a higher temperature than your summer system to she is using more mix water. Maybe this higher proportion of cold mix water feels different.

Before switching over to the boiler heat system I would flush the bajeepers out of the boiler heat system that has sat dormant all summer just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.