Need help with insert please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

twskidoo

Hearth Supporter
Nov 13, 2009
Merrimack NH
Biggest issue is need lintel depth of at least 8" (meaning my wall between the pipe and the front of the stove is 8") The opening is 22 1/4 " tall and 33 1/2" wide. Inside bottom is 22" in depth and top is 15" in depth. Would like something with long burn time and efficent.

Greetings. In order to advise, it would help to know a bit more about the house. How large a space & house are you trying to heat? How open is the floorplan and where is the stove going to be located (center of the house, outside chimney, etc.)?

House is currently about 1400 square ft, will be around 2000 when addtions are complete. Cathedrail ceilings with fans in the living room where stove will be, is in the main area of the house on outside wall. Kitchen, bathroom and 2 bedrooms are directly connected to the room.

If the goal is to heat the house as best possible with the stove, I would put in the largest unit that fits, minimum size of 2 cu ft. There are several fine units, which is the best fit depends on the budget, style, installation constraints. What have you been looking at?

I looked at Hearthstone and Vermont casting. Concerned about size of VC seems small and concerned about soapstone in Hearthstone really open to any and all suggestions. Finding that I am limited on what I can go with based on lintel depth of at least 8”.

BeGreen said:
If the goal is to heat the house as best possible with the stove, I would put in the largest unit that fits, minimum size of 2 cu ft. There are several fine units, which is the best fit depends on the budget, style, installation constraints. What have you been looking at?

+1
The bigger the firebox the better!

I wouldnt be concerned with buying a Hearthstone. Both their inserts are fine peices of equipment

Look at the Pacific Energy Super and the Jotul 450.

twskidoo said:
Niether the PE Super or the Jotul have a lintel that is big enough need 8".

Just to be sure about terminology, is this the "lintel depth" circled in orange? If yes, on the Jotul C450 it's adjustable.

Edit: Hmm, if the start of the pipe has to be 8" into the FP cavity, then that won't work. Even at 9.25", the front edge would be 6.25". How exact is the height dimension? It looks like a Hearthstone Clydesdale is just a skosh too big.

Can you post a picture of the fireplace? If not, is this a masonry fireplace or prefab?

Edit 2: Take a look at the VC Montpelier, it has a pretty deep flue collar.

Attachments

• c450_schem.jpg
    c450_schem.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 247
Status
Not open for further replies.