Need help with install: do I need to move the floor hvac vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapper

Nov 1, 2008
Maryland
hi All,

I've got an hvac floor vent in the corner where my stove is going. It is about 3" from the left wall and about 8" from the corner. The stove will sit about 9" in front of it.

The stove is a Fireview with the door on the right - much more than 16" away from the vent. And it will have a rear heat shield.

Anyone know of any code that says I have to move the vent? Kind of like the idea of the moving air if I should decide to turn on the hvac fan.

Current hearth plans: pull up vent cover, put down 1/2" durarock & 1 1/2" slate with cutout for vent, drop in vent cover.

Thanks!

Is it a supply (air entering the living space), or a return (air leaving the living space)? If it's a supply, it's not a problem. If it's a return, it might be. Mechanical codes in many jurisdictions require that return vents be no closer than 10 feet to a solid fuel-burning appliance. If there's any doubt in your mind which it is, turn on the fan and put a piece of paper or a plastic bag over it. If it gets sucked to the register, it's a return, and might be a problem. If it gets blown away it's a supply and it's OK. Rick

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

To answer your question: this is definitely the supply - you can see all the duct work in the (unfinished) basement ceiling.

The returns (one up high, one down low) are much larger and are built into the wall in the hallway.

Yeah, you never know...I've seen plenty of returns in floors, even though that doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so it's always worth checking to be sure. You should be OK proceeding with your plan. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.