Need help with jotul f100 installation into chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfloyd216

Jan 11, 2014
Winston Salem NC
I just acquired a nice used jotul and I cannot wait to use it. Wife says I need to do a professional install but I am not having any luck finding anyone to do this. I was thinking I could do the install and then have a chimney sweep inspect it. I would think the install would be fairly straight forward and save some money. I plan to place the stove in my fireplace and have it exit through the chimney. I checked out the black pipe at lowes and they seemed to have all the pieces but they could not tell me the gauge. I was told to use 20-22 gauge. The install directions say that the flue cannot exceed 8x12 and mine measures 10x10 so I'd assume my chimney would work. I plan on using a tee connector then running a straight pipe upwards a foot or two. I would then put an elbow since the chimney does not go directly up. After the elbow I would add a straight piece until it met or goes into the flue liner. I would get a metal shop to make a piece to seal off the bottom of the fireplace but I am not too sure how I would secure that to the brick. Am I anywhere close to being on the right path with this? Any help or comments would greatly be appreciated.

Hi Pfloyd, welcome to the Hearth!

This seems like you are planning a 'slammer' install. Most members here recommend against these because they tend not to draft well, lead to lots of creosote buildup, and hence a higher risk of chimney fires.

Have you considered putting a liner in instead? http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/productviewinkt.php If you do this, you will want a block-off plate to stop all of the heat from going up the chimney. Use the search function to find out how to do that - there are lots of examples.

Do you have a seasoned wood supply? It is hard to heat with unseasoned wood (trust me, I'm there at the moment).

Also, if you are putting the stove in the fireplace, make sure to check the manual and make sure you are all ok with clearances to combustibles.

You definitely can do the install yourself (as long as your insurance company and local government is ok with that), and come back for more advice if needed. There are lots of great people who can help out here!

I have an F100 and though I haven't used it since I moved my office out of the basement I loved that lil stove. But if you are going to have a fire in your house, do it right. Without a 6" chimney liner all the way to the sky in that fireplace that stove is not going to burn worth a damn. I know. I tried it into a 30 foot 11X11 tile lined flue for a few months and was ready to take the stove to the landfill. Put a liner in and the thing was a dream to burn in. For the three hours it is going to produce a fire and four hours it gives heat.

It has the firebox size of the box Micheal Jordan's shoes came in. You will have a nice fire and a great view from the glass while you are there feeding it. Don't even think about heating your house with it.

Thank you very much for both for your responses. I do have access to seasoned firedwood and planned on using this stove for supplamental heat. I Live in North Carolina and the winter is fairly mild so I would not be using the stove for extended periods of time. Due to a tight budget I was going to try the slammer install for this season and then hopefully do the liner through the chimney this coming fall. After reading the last post I may just try and swing the liner install instead of wasting my money with the budget install. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.