Need help with King 5500m. Factory was unable to help.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kozz57

Oct 25, 2016
Vermont
Hello everyone. I am having an issue with my 3 yr old King 5500m Pellet stove.. I called US Stove twice and went through the diagnostics check and all they could recommend was change out all the major components.. Might just as well buy a new stove for what the parts cost. Anyway here is what is going on...

A couple of days ago my stove ran out of pellets during the night, so in the morning I filled the hopper and restarted the stove...I was in the kitchen when I herd the stove go into shut down mode... I decided to give the stove a quick clean and fired it again.. The exhaust fan did not kick on to high and settle back so the flame basically went out of control and I had to shut the stove down..I think perhaps whatever controls the exhaust fan is faulty, but when running trough diagnostics I can get the fans to start but not while the auger is turning and feeding the fire ...if that makes sence.. I should mention that I did take the stove completely apart and cleaned everything, the room vent was really clogged and it did make some really weird noises when I tried to start the stove a few times.. One more thing..when the stove shuts down and is done the last minute the auger starts dumping pellets in the pot until the stove finally shuts off. Stove throws no codes that I have seen.

Sorry for the novel, just trying to be as informative as possible...Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum ... sorry no one answered. There are quite a few owners on here so a bit surprised.

Has the stove been run on surge protection? Have you tried replacing the thermistor? The oddities with the exhaust and auger feed suggest the temp sensor if not reading.

Hopefully other owners will chime in...

Have you reset the control - as in unplugging it for a few minutes?

Does it have a thermocouple, or a snap disc to sense the stove temperature?

Only thermistor for temp sensing ... No snap discs on the wiring schematic.

Have you reset the control - as in unplugging it for a few minutes?

I agree, first thing to do.

You also say that you did a major cleaning on the stove. Go back in and look at all the vacuum lines and electrical connects. Make sure everything is connected.

If it was a loss of vacuum the fan should go high exhaust so I don't think that is it. You run the diagnostics and the fan works. Bad thermistor? Maybe but the exhaust fan should run x minutes whether sensing heat or not and then shut down. Something in the startup is wrong.

One more thing..when the stove shuts down and is done the last minute the auger starts dumping pellets in the pot until the stove finally shuts off. Stove throws no codes that I have seen.

This is normal. I guess a safety feature in case there is any hot pellets in the auger.
I have the same stove.

This is normal. I guess a safety feature in case there is any hot pellets in the auger.
I have the same stove.
Thank you everyone... I have been in the hospital for the last few days which is bad enough, but to top it all off, last night it snowed 5-6 inchs and then turned to rain....The whole town is out of power after the sub station apparently blew a transformer. So I come home to a freezing cold house.
I really want to express my appreciation for all your replys, I reallycould use your help.. Yes I have disassembled this stove 3 times now thinking I missed something, however, everything has checked out.
I have talked to the Factory tech center twice with no clear cut direction.to getting the stove up and running safely.
As far as I can tell the stove really only has a Thermister for high temp control. Is there a way to test it? My opinion is that the circut board is suspect, but the young lady in Tech said it is fine.
Just to reinterate, The stove basically has a hot fire, but will not run the fans on high speed.( Seems like it does not sense the flame ) The stove gets so hot It seems to take forever to shutdown, and seems it is going to start to melt..Also once it is ready to power off the auger starts dumping pellets for 30 seconds or so before the stove finally shuts off. Thanks again

Last edited:
A thermistor can be tested by measuring its resistance at various temperatures. Its resistance changes with temperature, making it useful for monitoring, such as in your stove. It shouldn't be very expensive, and it might be worthwhile replacing it. If nothing else, you'll have a spare.I'd first make sure all of its connections are clean and tight, so the control board isn't getting false information. Make sure the thermistor is installed properly; that's it's touching or near enough to where it's monitoring.

If you can eyeball your thermistor, it may have numbers on it that will let you look it up to see what its resistance range is supposed to be.

Thank you Heat Seeker, I will slide out the Control Panel and see what I have.. I think my local TSC actually has one of these in stock. (Mgr ordered one for someone and it was never picked up ) .. Pretty cheap, so I think it is certainly worth giving it a try... Thank you

The thermistor is on the exhaust housing. Also be sure all wires are good. I messed up mine doing a cleaning and it wouldn't light.

Check your wall socket voltage and if you use a surge protector check in and out voltages on it. Low voltage can stop you fans from running on high, especially with the extra load of the auger motor turning on.

Hello
Do you have a good surge protector plugged into the stove? If not I suspect that some voltage spikes may have damaged the control panel.

Also check the house voltage into the surge protector if you have one, and out of it. They can and do go bad, as do house circuit breakers. Your stove could be suffering from simple low voltage issues. I mentioned this already but have you checked it ?