Need help with my cast iron stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krista72

Oct 29, 2008
Lincoln, IL
Hello guys and gals I an new here.

I have a Ben Franklin stove. It has a stamp on the front that states Portland, ME #3. I have a few questions on it.

I love the stove. We bought the stove used and the lady stated that they used it for years in there farm house and now that the sold the house they sold this. After looking at other stoves then looking at mine I think I may be missing a piece. It looks like there should be a plate inside the stove with one end towards the bottom back and the other end up top near the front. What is this plate for and do I need it?

We are getting a lot of smoke in the house whenever we first start the stove and when it dies done or there is no flame going but wood is burning. I did not know I had to get the chimney warm first. So that is what I am going to try today. BUt that doesn't help me when there is no flame. For I would think the stove would still be hot. It is only mid 40's here. With these stoves are you suppose to keep them stoked(sp?)?

My next try is that I am going on my roof for I know I am past the ten foot rule I just have to see if I am two feet past that ten foot rule on my chimney.

Then finally my wood. This wood was split earlier this year from fallen trees. I have had it covered all year long. Not so covered that air could not get to it. But would it be dry enough I guess.

Any help with this would be great. I have an old house and we are trying to beat the heating company just like everyone else. But it does not make sense to have a stove and my windows open.

Krista

Welcome to the site.
It sounds like you've got a few things working against you.

-I suspect your wood is not dry. Most species need at least a year to dry. Oak usually takes even longer.
-You may not have sufficient draft up your chimney. Search this site for "stack effect". You may find a solution. 1st be sure your chimney is free of obstructions and the cleanout access has a good seal.
-The Franklin we had when I was a kid did not have the plate you are asking about. A plate like that would probably be to keep from overheating the top and/or back of the stove and possible warping it. Franklin stoves are very inefficient. If you want to heat efficiently you might consider upgrading to an "air tight" EPA-approved stove.

I believe the piece you are missing is intended to deflect some of the heat to keep it from running straight up the chimney. Leave a door cracked when you start your fire. If there is enough draft the smoke should go up the chimney, if not the smoke will find a way out of the stove into your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.