Need help with my chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sblat

Nov 3, 2010
Haslett, MI
Was out cutting some scrub brush to make room for my wood processing area, and I threw a chain. Came right off the bar. I have never ever had this happen before. Before the saw stopped moving, it scored some of the drive links on the chain. They now have little burrs on some drive links and will not sit back in the bar any more. Do I just need to pitch this chain or can I file the burrs off and still use it?

Check the bottom of each drive link very carefully,by sight & feel.Unless its really extreme,those burrs can be filed off quite easily,just takes a bit of time.Reinstall on the bar ,it should drop right in the groove,tighten as normal, put on a glove & move it hand by to see if there's any binding. Look at your clutch & sprocket at the same time,see if any damage occured.You should be OK.

I have saved one and lost one. So, I am batting 50/50! ;-)

I had the same thing happen to me once. Now I run my chains
tighter. I filed the burrs off and it is still in use and runs good.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the responses. I will file them down today since I have a few trees in my buddies field that I need to get cut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.