Need help with my classic bay 1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lineman30

Feeling the Heat
Jul 9, 2010
Northeastern Oklahoma
I have problems I can't get a decent flame when my stove Is on high. The flame is barely out of the fire pot at start up and when the stove is going it's about an inch out of the pot. I'm using the same pellets from last year and I have cleaned my stove through out. I've recently installed an OAK and I did disturb the fire pot gasket. Took off the exhaust and cleaned it and replaced it. Does anyone have any ideas because this has never happened before. It's always performed just as the manual states.

have you pulled the combustion fan and cleaned it along with cleaning the ash/soot out from behind the firebox?

Is your flame sooty and lazy?

Lineman30 said:
I have problems I can't get a decent flame when my stove Is on high. The flame is barely out of the fire pot at start up and when the stove is going it's about an inch out of the pot. I'm using the same pellets from last year and I have cleaned my stove through out. I've recently installed an OAK and I did disturb the fire pot gasket. Took off the exhaust and cleaned it and replaced it. Does anyone have any ideas because this has never happened before. It's always performed just as the manual states.

I high lighted this because if the fire pot gasket has any damage it could let air into the stove. If you removed the fire pot its recommended to replace the gasket. Any air entering the stove could effect the flame.

[quote author="krooser" date="1284855225"]have you pulled the combustion fan and cleaned it along with cleaning the ash/soot out from behind the firebox?

Is your flame sooty and lazy?[/quo

Yes I have cleaned the combustion fan, well the entire stove basically. The flame wasn't lazy just really short and not really sooty either.

j-takeman said:
Lineman30 said:

I high lighted this because if the fire pot gasket has any damage it could let air into the stove. If you removed the fire pot its recommended to replace the gasket. Any air entering the stove could effect the flame.

That's kinda what I thought. Is that all that could affect it? I noticed a being drawn in between the glass on the door. Could that be a possibility? The flame has always been as the manual has stated.

Lineman30 said:
j-takeman said:
Lineman30 said:

That's kinda what I thought. Is that all that could affect it? I noticed a being drawn in between the glass on the door. Could that be a possibility? The flame has always been as the manual has stated.

Sounds like the leak has disrupted the airwash on the stove. Normally the airwash draws a small amount of air into the stove over the inside front of the glass to keep it clean. I wouldn't run the stove until you fix the air leak at the burnpot gasket!

j-takeman said:
Lineman30 said:
j-takeman said:
Lineman30 said:

Sounds like the leak has disrupted the airwash on the stove. Normally the airwash draws a small amount of air into the stove over the inside front of the glass to keep it clean. I wouldn't run the stove until you fix the air leak at the burnpot gasket!

I didn't realize the classic bay had a airwash on it. But I never remembered such a vac around the front of the glass like this before. I'll go get a new gasket and see if it improves. Thanks for the advice!!!

Well I'm still having problems with my stove running on high. My flame is barely out of the firepot. I did replace the firepot gasket with a Lytherm OEM gasket. Does anyone have any ideas? Its starting to cool off and I need to figure out the problem pretty quick.

Check these threads.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60242/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60314/

Another member had issues with the same pellet. Maybe head off to get a few bags of another brand to see if thats the case. The OHP I tried had some really long pellets in the mix and may stahl the auger. Does the batch you're burning have some really long pellets?

Another try would be to sort through a bag and break all the long ones(if you have long ones) to lest than an inch long and give it another go. KEEP US POSTED!

j-takeman said:
Check these threads.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60242/

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/60314/

Another member had issues with the same pellet. Maybe head off to get a few bags of another brand to see if thats the case. The OHP I tried had some really long pellets in the mix and may stahl the auger. Does the batch you're burning have some really long pellets?

Another try would be to sort through a bag and break all the long ones(if you have long ones) to lest than an inch long and give it another go. KEEP US POSTED!

Well there are a few long ones. At start up this morning the firepot was full of pellets and the flame was barely out of the pot. Usually at start up there is a roaring flame and it slowly dies down to the norm level.

Did you by any chance disturb any feed settings while cleaning things out? Like say a manually set restriction plate in the hopper.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Did you by any chance disturb any feed settings while cleaning things out? Like say a manually set restriction plate in the hopper.

I did take apart the plate and fuel adjustment and put it back together. After doing so I put it back at the original setting from last year.

Ok, when you did your cleaning of the exhaust blower and venting did you by any chance foul any area you had already cleaned. This is very easy to do.

It can result in a restriction of airflow or even cause the combustion blower to not reach speed.

Also in this area did you replace the blower gasket and get the flange evenly tightened against the blower gasket (if you have a leak on one side you'll put smoke into the area and on the other you can create an air bypass reducing the air flow through the burn pot.

If your stove door glass gasket is shot the same situation (air bypass) can happen.

[quote author="SmokeyTheBear" date="1287090833"]Ok, when you did your cleaning of the exhaust blower and venting did you by any chance foul any area you had already cleaned. This is very easy to do.

It can result in a restriction of airflow or even cause the combustion blower to not reach speed.

Also in this area did you replace the blower gasket and get the flange evenly tightened against the blower gasket (if you have a leak on one side you'll put smoke into the area and on the other you can create an air bypass reducing the air flow through the burn pot.

If your stove door glass gasket is shot the same situation (air bypass) can happ

Not sure what you mean by fouling something but when I did my cleaning I made sure everything was back as it should be. I just got done running the stove and at start up I had a really good flame and it lasted for about 10 minutes or so and it just fizzled out and it barely reached out of the pot. I adjusted the fuel all the way open and it didn't even improve it. But before I started it I had checked the two dumps and made sure they were as they should be. The dump that goes into the pan had just a little gap and I adjusted it and I thought I could have helped. Tomorrow I well check and see if the exhaust is properly tighten as you stated. It justs seems like its a problem dealing with the air or vacuum. Like I've said before it ran great for 3 years until I took the firepot
out and the exhaust motor off for cleaning. Oh ya forgot to mention I was just seeing if it would make a difference if I opened the door while it was running and of course it made the flame lazy but the flame became really tall but as soon as I lightly closed it, it shrank below the firepot. Any thoughts???

Lineman30 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Ok, when you did your cleaning of the exhaust blower and venting did you by any chance foul any area you had already cleaned. This is very easy to do.

If your stove door glass gasket is shot the same situation (air bypass) can happ
Not sure what you mean by fouling something but when I did my cleaning I made sure everything was back as it should be. I just got done running the stove and at start up I had a really good flame and it lasted for about 10 minutes or so and it just fizzled out and it barely reached out of the pot. I adjusted the fuel all the way open and it didn't even improve it. But before I started it I had checked the two dumps and made sure they were as they should be. The dump that goes into the pan had just a little gap and I adjusted it and I thought I could have helped. Tomorrow I well check and see if the exhaust is properly tighten as you stated. It justs seems like its a problem dealing with the air or vacuum. Like I've said before it ran great for 3 years until I took the firepot
out and the exhaust motor off for cleaning. Oh ya forgot to mention I was just seeing if it would make a difference if I opened the door while it was running and of course it made the flame lazy but the flame became really tall but as soon as I lightly closed it, it shrank below the firepot. Any thoughts???

By fouling something I meant that you could have pushed some ash into a part of the system you already had cleaned without realizing it, an example would be if you had already cleaned out the tee replaced the cap and then cleaned the exhaust blower inadvertently pushing ash back into the tee. I once watched a person clean the combustion blower cavity out, reinstall the blower, and then clean out the exhaust path leading from the ash traps to the blower cavity. Needless to say the blower came off again and things there got re-cleaned. All part of the ole stuff happens routine.

Not sure what you mean by fouling something but when I did my cleaning I made sure everything was back as it should be. I just got done running the stove and at start up I had a really good flame and it lasted for about 10 minutes or so and it just fizzled out and it barely reached out of the pot. I adjusted the fuel all the way open and it didn’t even improve it.  But before I started it I had checked the two dumps and made sure they were as they should be.  The dump that goes into the pan had just a little gap and I adjusted it and I thought I could have helped.  Tomorrow I well check and see if the exhaust is properly tighten as you stated.  It justs seems like its a problem dealing with the air or vacuum.  Like I’ve said before it ran great for 3 years until I took the firepot
out and the exhaust motor off for cleaning.  Oh ya forgot to mention I was just seeing if it would make a difference if I opened the door while it was running and of course it made the flame lazy but the flame became really tall but as soon as I lightly closed it, it shrank below the firepot.  Any thoughts??? (Sorry it might be a repost but I couldn't read the earlier one)

Lineman30 said:
.....as soon as I lightly closed it, it shrank below the firepot.  Any thoughts???.....

Too much burn air?? Like a blowtorch, when you add oxygen, the flame gets hotter but shorter. When you closed the door, the burn air once again was forced to go through the burnpot. directly into the pellets, as it should.

Personally, I'd rather have a shorter active flame than a taller lazy one.

Any chance you can get a couple pics of the flame posted for us to look at?

imacman said:
Lineman30 said:
.....as soon as I lightly closed it, it shrank below the firepot.  Any thoughts???.....

Too much burn air?? Like a blowtorch, when you add oxygen, the flame gets hotter but shorter. When you closed the door, the burn air once again was forced to go through the burnpot. directly into the pellets, as it should.

Is there any other possibilities that could be causing this? The fuel is the same fuel from last year. I still have 15 or so bags left over from last year. It has been kept dry and I had no problems with it.

Lineman30 said:
imacman said:
Lineman30 said:

Is there any other possibilities that could be causing this? The fuel is the same fuel from last year. I still have 15 or so bags left over from last year. It has been kept dry and I had no problems with it.

Did you change out your control board or change any settings on it?

SmokeyTheBear said:
Lineman30 said:
imacman said:
Lineman30 said:

Did you change out your control board or change any settings on it?

No the control is the original. The settings not sure my board is able to do so. My stove is a 04 model.

Lineman30 said:

I'd disconnect the OAK and try it. I know everybody's huge OAK fans here, but they don't always work. Just a thought.

hossthehermit said:
Lineman30 said:

I'd disconnect the OAK and try it. I know everybody's huge OAK fans here, but they don't always work. Just a thought.

I've tried that and still no change

[/quote}I'd disconnect the OAK and try it. I know everybody's huge OAK fans here, but they don't always work. Just a thought.[/quote]
I agree, and you can always move the control box to the +10 setting but you will end up using more fuel. As long as its operating and your getting the same amount of heat out of it, I wouldn't worry about a small flame. My CB1200 also has a small flame but gives plenty of heat, so I don't worry about it

I know this is a PITA, but do you have the feed motor capacitor installed on the feed motor? Only way to tell is to remove the cover from the feed motor and look. I have seen quite a few classic bays work for years without it and then all the sudden the quit feeding like they are suppose to. Without out it the feed motor will turn backwards at times messing with the amount of fuel being fed. You unit is old enough to be a perfect candidate for this problem. pretty easy fix if it is the problem.

Here is what to look for, sorry for the bad quality.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 422
Status
Not open for further replies.