Need Help With Pipe Location Can It Exist Through the Ridge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpstroker

Sep 12, 2010
Upstate NY
Hey, Im new here. I just bought a used fisher teddy bear (yes a teddy bear, not a baby bear. I checked the tag on the back.) and the only place that I can install it in my house is in the living room in the dead center of the house so if I exist the pipe straight up (which I want to because it will draft better) It will exist right through the ridge. The house has trusses so there is no ridge beam, but I'm wondering if they make a pre fab flashing for the pipe that will fit over the ridge? Can help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First,how are your carpentry skills.I don't mind penetrations on the ridge,easier(for me) to make a lasting weatherproof seal.I would build (frame)a chimney 3' in elevation off the ridge and finish with your choice of material to match your home.

Security makes a peak flashing.

Attachments

• security_peak flashing.jpg
    security_peak flashing.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 194
Welcome to the forums. Structural integrity is everything so far as your roof is concerned, so if you have any doubt at all about what you're doing, get some on-scene professional guidance before you go cutting holes. Yes, there are peak flashings available, but you didn't say anything about the rest of the stovepipe/chimney installation. Are you going up through a flat ceiling, then through an attic or upper story and then out? If it happens to be a cathedral ceiling, then you'll have to find a ceiling support box made for that, or you might find that you need to offset the stovepipe to make it work. In any case, a proper transition will need to be made from stovepipe (single or double wall) to Class A chimney at the first penetration of the house structure. Some more info on the whole setup from stove to daylight would be helpful. Pics are always a tremendous help. Again, welcome! Rick

fossil said:
Welcome to the forums. Structural integrity is everything so far as your roof is concerned, so if you have any doubt at all about what you're doing, get some on-scene professional guidance before you go cutting holes. Yes, there are peak flashings available, but you didn't say anything about the rest of the stovepipe/chimney installation. Are you going up through a flat ceiling, then through an attic or upper story and then out? If it happens to be a cathedral ceiling, then you'll have to find a ceiling support box made for that, or you might find that you need to offset the stovepipe to make it work. In any case, a proper transition will need to be made from stovepipe (single or double wall) to Class A chimney at the first penetration of the house structure. Some more info on the whole setup from stove to daylight would be helpful. Pics are always a tremendous help. Again, welcome! Rick
Good post!If your framing -construction skills(not to mention flue)are'nt up to par seek professional advice

Thanks for all of the replies. My carpentry skills are pretty good, and I feel pretty confident in doing the work my self. For ease I think I will pursue the route of the Security Peak Flashing. I will be going through a flat ceiling into an attic then through the roof. I cant imagine it would very much but would and offset hurt draft at all? I'll get the detailed dimension and info in the next day or so along with some pics and put them up for comment and suggestions. Thanks again.

An offset should be fine and is an option to consider. The major pipe manufacturers all list offset tables in their catalogs for guidance.

We chose a slight offset, in order to AVOID going thru the peak. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that there IS a flashing design for a peak install. Seems ill advised to (no matter HOW good your carpentry skills are) mess with the peak design.

Won't hurt anything to offset a couple of quick 45's to stay on the front or back side of the peak (whatever is your pleasure). SOME towns may have restrictions in this regard. Check with your local Building Department in the Town Hall. You obviously know about the amount of height you have to have, ABOVE the peak, right? What is it...............3 feet?

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.