Need Help with pool heating install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2009
WV
I'm looking to heat my pool with my conventional wood boiler. I'm looking to do this as cheap as possible but want it to work. Currently I have a conventional boiler with the following:
Basically the house is on one zone. When water in boiler reaches 180 pump kicks on running hot water throughout house. When water inside boiler cools off to 155 pump kicks off. Water hits 180 in boiler pump kicks back on, over and over etc. It is all run with copper
My boiler also has a domestic coil 4" inside of boiler of which I have run into two hot water tanks to heat my domestic water. It is set up on a timer and runs about 4 hours intermittently though the day/night to keep hot water. It is run with pex
Neither of the above are used through the summer.
What would be the simplest way to hook into this system as is to circulate water to heat my pool.
Also at my disposal is a gas pool heater. I havent opened it up yet but I'm assuming it has some type of heat exchanger in it that I could use. Looking for ideas on the simplest way to heat my pool without radically changing my system. Not interested in heating it all the time but maybe just weekends and certainly from time to time in may and sept.
I thought about just teeing off the pex line and put shut off valves on each side and using domestic coil to produce hot water which I could circulate to the pool. the problem is that if my boiler reaches set point it will throw heat to the house as well.
I thought about teeing into the copper lines that heat my house via baseboard and putting shutoff valves there as well. This would probably work the best as I wouldnt have to worry about heat getting pumped into house if domestic coil did not keep boiler under the pump set point.
I would rather use the doemstic coil because its pex and not critical to my home heating but not sure if it would work that way or not.. Any thoughts?

Not sure how you would use the gas pool heater since it's not a liquid to liquid exchanger. I wonder what the maximum output of your domestic coil is that it would be sufficient to prevent the house loop from running.
I've got a 155k exchanger in the pump lines of my pool but I'm hooked directly into the boiler out. This is on a Biomass 60 and I gain a bit over 1 degree/hr on 12,000gal pool.

Pool is around 10,000 gallons. Boiler is 160,000 btu. Now that I think about the gas pool heater you are right. It is an old one that I was going to tear apart thinking it had a heat exchanger but now that I think about it I guess water just runs thru it in a coil and is heated by gas. Not really a liquid to liquid transfer.
I alos thought about just hooking up my domestic coil and hoping that the transfer of heat to the pool would be enought to keep boiler temp low thus not getting on pump into the house. Probably can kind of control this by the fire size as well. Do you think this would be worth trying. I guess I will need a heat exchanger at the pool or could I somehow use the propane heater coil to do this. Just hate to put much money in this but dang I hate that my pool is always just a tad cold. I

Status
Not open for further replies.