Need help with Quad MVAE again!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
While cleaning our stove we noticed ash residue in places I don't think it should be. I thought ash should only be in the pan and the firebox. We found it on the outside of the firebox between the box and the cabinet on both sides as well on the top of the firebox on the outside where the air blows out. I took some photos to help explain. Is this normal? If not, what is causing it and how do we fix it?
20191123_165228.jpg
20191123_165220.jpg
20191123_165123.jpg
20191123_165220.jpg
20191123_165309.jpg

Made me look. I have the same on mine. Only thing I can say is are you sure it is ash or dust from fuel? Or both? I try to be clean doing things as I am a clean freak, but crap does happen. You take the exhaust fan off to clean and some ash gets inside back of stove and gets blown around when things run. Or even taking ashpan out and scooping without a vac running to get dust. Even opening the door to clean can send some ash into the air as heat rises. I know if ashpan is too full, when you pull it out, some will fall back in pan opening, and if not cleaned can get around a bit if no oak is installed. Only other option is to let the box floor get full of ash and see if any gets blown around from a leak in the seal, like you would see around bottom of firepot if gasket had a bad spot. And next time you take baffle off to clean, check around that area for any issues. Check exhaust fittings near rear of stove. kap

Reactions: rona
Hi Kap! Thanks for the reply. I do not scoop out the ashpan - vacuum it all. We do have an oak installed so I guess it's not that. We did find a small air leak where the venting connects to the stove so maybe it is from there. It has been sealed and everything has been cleaned so we will keep an eye on it. I will check the other areas you mentioned in case it's more than one thing. Thanks again!

PelletGirl, Kap is, of course, the expert when it comes to Quads but I thought I'd add my two cents. I, too, have a Quad MVAE and have noticed the same thing. Never gave its second thought as the stove just runs and runs but good to have his feedback.

Reactions: kappel15
Thanks BigJohn. We've had issues with a smoke smell and I was wondering if it could have been from this. We did find a leak where the vent meet the stove and we sealed it. Hope that helps with the odor. Still not sure where the residue comes from but if you both have it with no issues I guess it's normal for the stove. Thanks for the reply and Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: kappel15