Need help with removing firebox liner EF-2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailed_nailer

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2007
Cape Cod, Ma
Hey all,

I spent Saturday afternoon doing a deep cleaning of my stove (Enviro EF-2). I did this in conjunction with replacing my combustion blower. I had ordered a replacement blower from hearthtools.com (Thanks Rod) a week or so back. So I finally had a chance to get it done.

I started on the convection blower side. Man, were those blower vanes plugged up with dust. I vacuumed the room air side of the stove and used compressed air on the blower. I looked like Al Jolsen when I was done :) I put a few drops of oil in the lube points and replaced everything. What a difference. No more rattle.

Next I opened up the left (combustion side) of the stove. Again I vacuumed everything. I disconnected the vent, unplugged the wiring from the blower and the temp sensor. Then I unbolted the entire blower cowl and removed it. I then cleaned up and vacuumed the exhaust passages.

Big question? Having never opened one of these up before. One thing I noticed was the slide damper will not close past 1/2 way in the exhaust passage. Is this normal? I can understand why it wouldn't. But, how far should it be able to close? I also can't figure out what is preventing it from closing. The damper will freely slide from 100% open to 50% open but no further.

Anyway, I connected the vent duct to the new combustion blower and installed the new one. I hooked up the wiring and connected the vent.

I then went around to the front and did my usual cleaning on the firebox side. I figured since the stove was cold I could really clean out the passages by removing the firebox backing and get deep into it. I can't seem to get the 3 sided fake brick steel piece out of the doorway. Is there some trick (hold my mouth right?) that does this. I checked in the manual but all it says is to remove the screws and tilt forward. That wont work as the fake brick is wider than the door opening.

So after I put my tail between my legs I did the best I could with my vacuum with a narrow tube into every passage I could reach. Including behind the circular covers like usual.

Thing I have notice is that the damper seems to have only a slight effect on the flame. The fire burns with nice tips, the pellets don't jump out of the burn pot liner, and I get some brown/white soot on the glass.

I know the backing will come out.....I'll get it eventually Just thought you all could give some clues.

BTW: The new combustion blower is about 50% quieter than before. Now I don't have to turn up the TV at all over the blower noises.

Thanks,
---Nailer---

I know my stove is different.....but I removed my baffle from the top inside.....that allows me to slide the brick upward and line up with the slots to allow it to pull forward. The left and right side allow me to do it that way....the middle piece I have an allen screw.

But i know yours is probably diff than the Quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.