Need help with running a Hawken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes the flat plate physically keeps the two systems separate. So the house side will need a pump, thermostatic mixing valve and a small expansion tank which I believe you didn't have. What is your question about checking something?

If there is not one there already, you should also have a Wye strainer on the boiler side.

I would likely recommend a Grundfos Alpha on the house side - has a lot of settings so more chance of being able to dial it in to get the flows matched good (it is variable speed so will also slow itself down via throttling it). Also would use less electricity - likely a lesser concern. Ideally, Alpha on load side too - but I'd start with that.

And make sure you get an exchanger that is big enough - bigger is usually better.

And lots of ball valves to isolate all the components for possible future servicing - and easy flushing of the heat exchanger (hose bibs on each side there, or at least at the inlet & outlet of boiler side, which should be more prone to buildup. Keeping in mind hose bibs can get leaky after time...).

(If you are talking check valves - should not be necessary).