Need help with some wood id's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle19

Jun 17, 2010
Rockland County, NY
Looking to identify 2 different types of wood that my tree guy dropped off a few months ago and i'm just getting around to splitting. The first 2 pictures (if they load correctly) are of the same round and split. Smells like cow manure. The round felt heavy like oak but when i split it the split seemed awful light weight to me. The next two pictures are of the second type of wood. I noticed the purple looking streak on some of the spilts and after reading some posts i thought maybe poplar?? tulip??? Any input from the pros would be great.

Attachments

• wood 004.jpg
    wood 004.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 345
  • wood 003.jpg
    wood 003.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 350
  • wood 002.jpg
    wood 002.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 392
  • wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 365
You need to re load your pictures. They are too small and can't be made larger.

I'm trying to re-size the pictures and submit them. Hope this works. This should be the first type for ID

Attachments

• wood 001.jpg
    wood 001.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 339
  • wood 002.jpg
    wood 002.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 357
And this should be the second type I could use an ID on. I guess i also need a phot/e-mail class to learn to size pictures better.

Attachments

• wood 003.jpg
    wood 003.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 328
And one more while we are at it. Same as the last one was. Purple streaks

Attachments

• wood 004.jpg
    wood 004.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 334
Nice new pictures. Tulip on the second. White oak on the first.

I agree on the tulip but not on the white oak. That looks and sounds (and smells) more like cottonwood.

I will go with Willow on the first one and tulip second.

Backwoods Savage said:
I agree on the tulip but not on the white oak. That looks and sounds (and smells) more like cottonwood.

i agree!

Look at the grain on the first pick. I still vote for oak.

gzecc said:
Look at the grain on the first pick. I still vote for oak.

Darn sure could make a case for it. Need close ups of it.

Thank you for the replies. All the wood i have has been dropped off at my house in managebale rounds and its all been free. 70% has been maple and oak and ash. I guess i can't complain if i have some tulip or evenly possibly cottonwood to deal with thats also free.

Status
Not open for further replies.