Need help with stove pipe on a new installation through drywall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBnewengland

Apr 12, 2013
maine
Hi there guys, I have spent several hours researching and looking at pipe and i just cant seem to get everything worked out for this application. I have a rear vent wood stove that is only about three feet from the chimney, but the problem i have is there is drywall between the stove and chimney. I am looking at coming out the rear of the stove with a 90° elbow then up vertically three feet. The plan is to then take another 90° elbow back to the drywall 18", pass through the drywall with a thimble, then out the other side 12" and in to the chimney.

One of the problems i have been encountering is there are no "through drywall" thimbles. Most of the ones i look at are a 6" minimum wall thickness. I can frame up the drywall with 2x4 but that still leaves me around 4". Do i frame it up with 2x6 instead? I originally wanted to run as much single wall pipe as possible for cost savings and more heat in the house but i can't see that happening any longer. I have called up a couple companies to discuss what they thought and was just told i should run stainless steel triple wall pipe the entire way, leave a 2 inch gap around where it passes through the drywall and put a collar on it. That sounds extremely expensive. I kind of broke the bank on the wood stove so i am looking to do this in a safe but cost effective manner.

We wouldn't have our beautiful wood stove if it wasn't for your help so i know you will steer me in the right direction.

I've put together a parts list that i just emailed out and am having Woodland Direct look at to make sure it will work. It just seems crazy to me that in order to safely connect to the chimney three feet away i need to spend $600. Thats what i spent on my last car and it was in good running and driving shape. Thanks, I'll keep you guys updated.

I've put together a parts list that i just emailed out and am having Woodland Direct look at to make sure it will work. It just seems crazy to me that in order to safely connect to the chimney three feet away i need to spend $600. Thats what i spent on my last car and it was in good running and driving shape. Thanks, I'll keep you guys updated.

Not sure how bad the mark-up is on it, but that stuff is quality. If properly installed, that piece will provide as much protection as you'll ever need for that area.

Sucks to pay for it upfront, but it won't do you wrong in the long run.

I spent $30 on my first car but $2,000 on my last stove!

Just remember that this will also give you and your family some better peace of mind knowing you have done the job right. That is priceless.

i curious as to why the drywall is 3' from the chimney and why you couldn't remove that drywall and frame two side walls to the chimney and create a alcove that the stove sits in front of and the stove is in going back to the chimney

Status
Not open for further replies.